• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have knowledge about Microsoft Certifications?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I'm in between college right now and will be going back in January but in my free time I was looking into trying to pass a few of these exams. I just want to get an entry level tech job until I graduate school. Any information would be extremely helpful as what to go for, thanks!

Microsoft Side? Look at the MCSA track to start. Requires 4 exams: 1 client (XP, 2k or Vista) 2 server exams (both involved Server 2003), and 1 elective (a bunch to choose from, but Exchange would be valuable)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

You may also want to start with and knock out the A+ exam as it will open a lot of entry level positions for you and can obviously be attained in less time and are not as difficult as some Microsoft tests. Test vouchers would normally cost you about $165 per exam. But they give you a whole year. There are some sites that have ones that expire within a month that you can save money on.

Last edited:
MCSA is the correct Acronym :) but yeah that would be a good one to get your foot in the door somewhere and later if you work for a company that pays for certs you can finish off your MCSE. But if you want to start in a helpdesk environment somewhere you can get by with just your MCP which is desktop support 2k, XP or Vista I Would take the 70-270 test for Windows XP

I was thinking of getting 270,271,272 but thanks for the information. Thats pretty much what I wanted to do was get my foot through the door while I finish school.

I'm currently living with my father in the DC area, but normally I do live in Northern New Jersey.

Back