• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8500 Heat Problem, SOLVED!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterRy88

So I started out with an E8500 that was getting a little to hot for my likings. I have a E8500 E0 stepping, on an asusu p5n32-e SLI mobo, 2 x 1GB pc2-6400 memory, GeForce 8800GTX, Coolermaster centrution 5 case with a coolermaster cm sphere cooler and a 750GB seagate sata drive.

No what happend was at first I only had the two fans that the case comes with, one intake low in the front, and one exaust high in the back. my idle temps were about 48 - 50 and loaded around 60 - 63, way to hot.

So i noticed that my graphics card was heating up a substancial amound, nt more than its normal operating temp but I knew that this could be outputting extra heat onto my CPU. Went to frys and bought a pci cooler. This dropped my mobo temps 3C and my GPU temps about 5 -8C but showed no substanical drop to my CPU temps.

Next I put in an extra intake fan on the front of the case right wher the top 3 cd/dvd drives would go. This dropped my temps to about 2-3C, still not that great.

After all this with not much temp drops I decided to replace the back exaust fan. This particular coolermaster fan comes with the case, and operates at 900 RPM's, a little weak. I bought a SilverStone 110 CFM fan and installed it in the back. Fired my computer up and just like that, I idled at 35-38 and loaded around 51 - 53. A very easy fix for something that seemed like a large problem.

The physics behind this was that there was a dead zone in between the GPU and the CPU. The intake fans were blowing this air around slightly but it wasnt being picked up and exausted out the back. WIth the addition of a better fan, this dead zone was sucked out and thus fixing my heat problem.

I used to be like this :bang head:bang head and finally I get to do this :beer::beer:

-Thanks for all your suggestions

If you want even better results get rid of the fan grill of the front and rear fans, with tin snips or a dremel.

I have a heavily modified CM5 myself, and it serves me just enough. But reading your post, you must of spent at least spent 30 dollars (assuming $10 PCI-cooler/$20 120MM Fan) and that could have gone towards a better case like the CM590 from Microcenter. Realize that the CM5 is outdated in thermal effectiveness, hence my need to hack it up so much.

But if you genuinely like the case, here are some modifications that I have performed:

100_1427.jpg

100_1425.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

The front of the case has no evidence of modification.

bryan d

PS - Ghetto in inside, stylish outside; the case is breaking sumptuary law!

damn, yeah the problem is I pretty much tapped my self out wiht buying everything that went into this PC. The only thing i used for my super old build was the case. So spending 100+ on a case wasn't really an option.

But wow you really did a good mod on this case considering the case you are dealing with. Considering htat switching my case would have dropped temps about the same, I think I made it out ok.

Its a good thing i mustered up enought money to get the good parts inside, and personally, I like the looks of the case.

Also Bryan, great job on the front, looks excellent

The Cooler Master Centurians are great cases. I just wish the would put decent fans in them, they are quiet but they move hardly any air.

@ bryan_d if it wasn't for the different switch I'd swear that was a picture of the front of my 534.

Same reason you would cut out the front grill...more airflow and somewhat less noise.

@ bryan_d if it wasn't for the different switch I'd swear that was a picture of the front of my 534.

If CM had made the 534 with the CM5 front, that would a nice case. :)

Bryan, why did you cut the grill of the back exaust fan????

oh and we are from the same area too

As answered before, the grill inhibits air flow, and actually creates more noise when not removed. Did you buy the Case from SVC for $10 too?

Do you smoke a lot or live in a saw mill? Or both?

heh.

Just a year's accumulation of particles that the Filters let through... for a year's worth, it is actually not too shabby... still nasty I know. :)

Thanks for the compliments all,

bryan d

Let see, I have had this case from around 3 years ago when I was in High school and was still going computer crazy. I just recently picked this game up again so I pulled out my old stuff.

What I foudn was an AMD 3700+ @ 2.4GHz, an ATI Radeon x850 Pro, 1GB of memory, an old Zalman cooler and a 350W PSU. Gave me a good chuckle

So now I have been able to drop the temps to 44C under full prime95 load and this is what I had to do. I switched the position of my cd/dvd drives and my upper intake fan so that it blew directly accross the case and HSF and strait out the exasut fan.

Now its time for some OCing since I have been playing games and what not, its been perfect. But as it seems, having this baby at stock just insnt pleasing enough.

Back