• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enlarging the Window Size of an App

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woz101

I have the Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary CD ROM version(3.0) installed on my Vista 64 bit Ultimate rig. It's a good dictionary--I especially like the audio pronunciation part. However, the window of the app is just a tad bit small for my taste as well as for my 22" LCD monitor! :) So every time after I have launched it, I have to manually adjust its window size to my liking. But Vista does not remember its adjusted window size, so the next time I launch the app, it starts in its puny window again!? :bang head

Now is there any way that I could make Vista remember the adjusted window size for the app?

I know that when you click on "Property" of the app's shortcut icon, you have the option of choosing the app to run in "Normal Window" size or "Maximized" or "Minimized." I don't want the app to run in "Maximized" or "Minimized" window--the default is "Normal Window." However, interestingly, when I changed the window to "Maximized" or "Minimized," the app still ran in the "Normal Window" size?:confused:

So, let me repeat my question: is there any way that I could make the app run in a customized window size to my liking? This is under Vista (64 bit), of course.

TIA!

That isn't a Vista issue at all. It is the program not "remembering", (writing to a config file) so it loads like that next time or it is hard coded to start at x resolution.

Check for a configuration file.

That isn't a Vista issue at all. It is the program not "remembering", (writing to a config file) so it loads like that next time or it is hard coded to start at x resolution.

Check for a configuration file.

OK, here is the folder of Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

2yuiurm.jpg

I checked the "Setup" file, which is a configuration file, and here is its contents:

[Startup]
AppName=Merriam-Webster
ProductGUID=Redacted
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=9
key0=0x0804
key1=0x0404
key2=0x0009
key3=0x0021
key4=0x0011
key5=0x0012
key6=0x0019
key7=0x001e
key8=0x001f

I changed the value of "Default=0x0009" to 11, but no change in the app's window size?!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have never used the program, so there is no way for me to know. Start opening files and seeing what is in them.

Changing that default looks like it changes the languages...not the size.

Try resizing the window to your liking, then hold down the Shift key while closing the app. Or try method two in this tutorial...

How to Reset Windows Explorer Folder View Settings to Make Vista Remember
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

Thanks for the info, redduc900. I googled and found info on resizing Windows Explorer's window size as well, before I posted here. But since my issue is an app's--not Windows Explorer's--not remembering the app's adjusted window size, I forwent looking up that info. I posted here instead, asking for help.

I will take a look at the link you have provided, when I get around. In the mean time, thank you very much again for the reply.

Back