• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extra wires on PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunel07

Hi,

I have a corsair 520w hx. I have several wires on the PSU that arnt being used. Im trying to get a tidy case and these are proving a bit of a problem. Do i have any options. Am i able to open up the PSU and some how disconnect these wires safely?

Well i don't see why you would want to disconnect them. I would run then on the back of the MB tray and tape them.

Hi,

I have a corsair 520w hx. I have several wires on the PSU that arnt being used. Im trying to get a tidy case and these are proving a bit of a problem. Do i have any options. Am i able to open up the PSU and some how disconnect these wires safely?

The Hx520w is Modular so the cables you dont need just unplug,,,,, which wires are you meaning??

Hi, sorry for being unspecific. I have now looked at the wire, it has four pins, two are square, two are rounded, and they are arranged in a 2 x 2 (square) formation.

Thats a MB connector, I don't know what MB you have but both should be connected if it supports it. If thats the only one i'm sure there is a way for you to tuck it out of the way.

That is an Auxiliary Power Connector for the motherboard. You need to make sure that all connections to the motherboard are connected. If they are then just hide that cable behind the motherboard tray. Don't cut it off as you would probably need it on your next build.

He might be using an EPS connector instead. Do not attempt to open up the unit and de-solder the wires. It will void your warranty.

My mobo works fine with the current connections. Is there a chance they could be wrong? I was just trying to tidy up my wires but I guess I just have to live with it

If the connections are wrong, your board may not turn on. What are your system specs? In any case don't chop off the extra cables.

Some motherboards require a 4-Pin 12V in addition to the usual 20/24-Pin ATX connector. Some boards require an 8-Pin 12V instead of the 4. This is literally just two 4-Pins side by side. I suspect you have the 4-Pin connected and a free 4-Pin because your motherboard doesn't use both.

But check the motherboard face. Around the CPU-area. There should be a long, 24-Pin connector attached, and a 4-Pin identical to the one you're describing, attached too. If you have both hooked up and there aren't four lonely units empty, you really do have an extra 4-Pin.

the corsair psus come with all modular cables except for 20+4 pin atx, 8pin eps, and 4pin cpu. my guess is that his motherboard is utilizing the 8pin and the 4pin is bugging him. now im not sure why corsair didnt either:
make one cable with 4+4pin
or make the cpu power modular
but in any case, you do not want to open it up or cut off the wire

Back