• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual-channel issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayfella

Hi all,

I bought 2 x 2GB corsair XMS2 memory with my new mobo and processor the other week, and when it came, one of the 2 sticks was faulty - no boot at all with the faulty stick in the mobo. So i RMA'd it - but said it would take over a week to return. Fair enough, but i thought id buy another 2 x 2GB of the same stuff for a saturday delivery so i can have a play on my computer, and id have 8GB when the other stuff was replaced. Great!

So. My RMA'd replacement came yesterday, so i went about and installed it, but it kept crashing every now and again randomly. I thought it is probably my OC since its harder to OC 4 sticks, but even at an underclock of 781 (as opposed to its stock 800) it still kept crashing.

I was about to RMA it, when i decided to try each slot just in case it was the mobo. So i tried one at a time, and all was great. Tried 2 at a time (in dual channel mode) and the yellow slots worked fine, but the black ones always crash.

When there is only one stick in either of the black slots its fine, but when i put one stick in both of the black slots to make it dial-channel mode, it crashes...

I know i've got to RMA it, but just wondered if there was any ideas y'all might have before i do... :( :( :( ...

god darn second thing i've had to RMA in the space of 2 weeks :( :( :(

Last edited:
all you can do is rma the motherboard... there is no way to fix that...

Yeah... They approved it. Coming to pick it up monday. Not gonna have a computer now for around 2 weeks come monday :(

Its a sad moment.

Damn Straight. But you know what really gets my goat. If i hadn't have bought that extra 4 gig of RAM, i probably wouldnt have known until i went to do a "last-update-before-its-an-antique" in a year and keep it as a backup PC. At which time the warranty would be waving googbye at me loooong down the road.

Back