• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z790 Hero and ram slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptm

Registered
ram used Gskil Trident Z5 RGB F5-6600J3440G16GX2-TZ5RK

According to the manual the DDR 5 ram is supposed to go in A2 & B2 when using two sticks.
i kept getting code 55 and no screen.
i took out 1 stick of ram and I got screen.
so I did all the updates, etc. then started trying to figure out the ram.
if I use just 1 stick of ram I can get it to work in slots A1 or A2.
if I attempt to use slots B1 or B2 I get code 55.
this is just using 1 stick of ram.

i can use both sticks of ram but only if they are in slots A1 and A2.

it did not matter if XMP was enabled. Did it both ways.

bad board?
does something need to be “turned on” to use the two far right slots?
should I care / worry about this?

All the updates include.......the latest BIOS and ME, right?

Are those sticks on the compatibility list? They should work, but.. if they aren't there's a chance they don't (yet).

To be clear here (since I had the manual up for your other thread, lol).... A2 and B2 is the second and 4th (furthest) slot from the processor, and that's where you're trying to slot them, right (see page 1-2 of the manual)?

EDIT: I see them on the list...

Last edited:
All the updates include.......the latest BIOS and ME, right?

Are those sticks on the compatibility list? They should work, but.. if they aren't there's a chance they don't (yet).

To be clear here (since I had the manual up for your other thread, lol).... A2 and B2 is the second and 4th (furthest) slot from the processor, and that's where you're trying to slot them, right (see page 1-2 of the manual)?

EDIT: I see them on the list...
I had the 0401 bios and updated to the 0703.
before I purchased the ram I checked both Asus and Gskil for compatibility.
correct #2 & #4 I listed it by the manual just in case someone misunderstood.

the ME - I am researching now. I bet I didn’t do that

So I just checked the ME
i have 2229.3.2.0 driver
16.1.25.1865 firmware.

i am updating the firmware to 16.1.25.2020 now…

just an update.
After firmware update still same issue. I dismounted the aio off the cpu. Cleaned it & cpu then reseated, less tight this time. I didn’t think it was too tight, but willing to try. Still same issue.

chatted with Asus tech support.
they are going to escalate my issue as everything they can think of and ask me is correct.
odd thing, is that even though the motherboard can’t post with ram in slots 3 or 4 the rgb on the ram does light up. May need to RMA the motherboard.

while I wait for Asus I’m going to dismount the cooler and cpu clean everything.
maybe dismount the motherboard and use an air compressor on it to blow out ram slots then remount everything. Be a few days need to get more paste, I’ve had to mount the cooler a few times.

I would inspect the socket carefully for bend pins if you haven't already. But I think you're on the right track, either socket or CPU problem most likely, but something could be wrong with the slot, traces or circuits on the memory as well. If the RGB lights up the memory is getting power but not necessarily the right voltage etc imho.

Best bet would be to test the CPU in a different board if possible but I'm not sure where you could do that without RMAing the baord.

Just an update if anyone is interested…

so my thermal paste showed up a day early. Yay.
i dismounted everything. Took the motherboard out of the case.
cleaned the aio and cpu of the old paste. i didn’t reseat the cpu, didn’t see any reason to mess with it.
reattached everything, gently, snugly, thinking happy thoughts.
only put 1 stick of ram in slot 2, fired it up and now the Qcode gives me 00.
i rechecked everything. Yep, all plugged in. Try again, same result.
so dismount, clean, check cpu. Pins in socket look good, used magnifying glass.
reseated everything.
fired up again. Got code 00 again. Just sits there no bios.
shut it down, pulled plug, pulled the cr2032 battery, let it sit for an hour.
installed brand new cr2032 battery, plugged in, turned on
same result.
so it’s going back to Asus Once I get the RMA info from them.
if I could take it back to where I bought it to exchange I would but I got the last one they had back on the 17th and they haven’t had anymore in.
such is life.

Man, that's a tough situation.. :(

00 is typically a CPU error.
I’ve never had a motherboard or cpu issue. Granted it’s been 8 years since I built a new machine but before that I was building them left and right for friends, family, etc.

could this all be to a bad cpu? Or maybe a combination of both?

i mean, I’m not perfect and maybe I bent a pin and didn’t see anything wrong when I looked but you never know.
just frustrating.

00 = CPU error or anything related, so can be a bad CPU, can be a problem with CPU pins, or it can be too much pressure on the CPU/socket (sometimes happens with custom water cooling). It can also be a problem with BIOS, but you already cleared CMOS.

Well, I pulled everything apart. Bought a MSI Z790 Edge d4 board and some ddr4 memory. While at Microcenter I had them test my ddr5 ram - it’s fine.
rebuilt the system with new board. Booted up good to go.
so we shall see what Asus has to say.
the MSI board is nice but I want my Hero lol

well, just a quick update. I did finally get my Asus mobo back. There were two issues with it. Something about the RAM slots, which they would honor the warranty on and i bent a socket pin, which i had to pay for them to repair. They sent me a "new" refurbished motherboard, set everything up and now good to go.

Bent pins are such a crock these days. I understand some customers are going to bounce their fidget spinner off the socket and expect someone else to make it okay, abuse the system, etc. Charging you for one bent pin, especially when there's another problem on the board, feels pretty sleezy though. I bet it came that way, or at the very least never would have been damaged if you hadn't had a bad ram slot in the first place. I guess everyone should do unboxing videos now, from the time the shrink wrap is removed to when the socket cover is taken out and then zoom in on the pins before installing the CPU or something.

Back