• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.M.A.R.T Failure: Airflow Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I've got three Seagate 750GB 7200.11 refurbs from woot.com. They work just fine, they're quiet, etc. Everest tells me that S.M.A.R.T. says everything is fine on each drive, but each one has a failing value on "Airflow Temperature".

ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
BE Airflow Temperature 45 42 34 992804922 Advisory: Usage or age limit exceeded
BE Airflow Temperature 45 40 33 1026490428 Advisory: Usage or age limit exceeded
BE Airflow Temperature 45 43 38 959053881 Advisory: Usage or age limit exceeded

Is this anything to worry about? The actual drive temperatures are 57C, 60C, 61C, which is perfectly normal in my experience of many Seagate drives, unless excessively loud airflow is applied, and I've none of the drives reporting these temperatures has failed on me :)

I know about backups and everything, so no need to tell me :) I already have them :)

Is your air intake near a heating vent? :p Because the temps you stated in C are definitely not normal. How did you measure the temp? Check on Seagate's site to see what their rated temp range is.

Drive temps as reported by Everest:

SAMSUNG HD501LJ 38 °C (100 °F)
Seagate ST3500630AS 48 °C (118 °F)
Seagate ST3500630AS 49 °C (120 °F)
Seagate ST3750640AS 55 °C (131 °F)
Seagate ST3750640AS 59 °C (138 °F)
Seagate ST3750640AS 57 °C (135 °F)

/----------------\
|................|
|...............G|
|F...............|
|................|
|................|
|F..1.2.......P..|
\----------------/

F are 120mm low-speed Yate Loons intakes, G is low-speed Yate Loon exhaust. 1 and 2 are the drive cages. 2 has the 750GBs in it.

Try HDTune to double check the temperature reading. I assume you have a PSU with a fan as well, your airflow should be reasonably balanced. Have you cleaned the intake air filters lately? That's the only other thing I can think of quickly.

ya those temps are WAY hot i think max recommended operating temp is 55-60*C for the 7200.11's... thoes temps definietly are not normal, you must have ZERO airflow on thoes things... a single yate loon low speed at 5v would cool thoes down to below 40*c, cus my 7200.10 250gb drives have never been above 40, and the hitachi 500gb in my server that doesnt even have a fan blowing on it sits below 40.

There are several conditions - for example, altitude, temperature, and contamination ... In its original incarnation SMART provided failure prediction

Last edited by a moderator:
ya those temps are WAY hot i think max recommended operating temp is 55-60*C for the 7200.11's... thoes temps definietly are not normal, you must have ZERO airflow on thoes things... a single yate loon low speed at 5v would cool thoes down to below 40*c, cus my 7200.10 250gb drives have never been above 40, and the hitachi 500gb in my server that doesnt even have a fan blowing on it sits below 40.

I've had many Seagate drives... 7200.7 through 7200.11. In four different cases (OEM case from a $200 Fry's machine, Rosewill aluminum warped flimsy crap, Antec 900, and my current Rocketfish), and they've always been the hottest running drives I've ever seen. Samsung, Maxtor, WD, and Hitachi drives all ran cooler in any of those cases (in the same position as the Seagates), sometimes by as much as 15C. The temperatures are perfectly normal according to years of Seagate drives, which is why I am wondering what the conditions for the failing S.M.A.R.T. parameter are.

Sometimes a refurbished drive isn't that perfect ;). As long as a fan is blowing on it, you should be fine. Sometimes the SMART might not be fixed or reset on a refurbished drive or at least protocols like that. Just run Seagate Diagnostic tools just to make sure it is in working order. IF it passes. Don't worry about it.

I owned a maxtor 200gig SATA. Supposedly dead but after some killdisk runs it started working normal and passed maxtor diagnostics. However, it ran REALLY hot even with a fan blowing on it. I still used it though and never lost any data. Eventually it went back to normal.

Maybe you should contact Seagate to get more detail on the SMART feature that failed since you feel that the temperatures themselves aren't the problem.

Tried Seagate's diagnostic tool... it fails to recognize any of my Seagate drives (it read the models of both 500GB and all three 750GB as model 0AS. The only drive it correctly detects is my Samsung HD501LJ. It correctly gets the serial number from the Samsung, also, while none of the Seagate serials are read. Any attempt to run any of the tests on the Seagate drives returns "test unavailable". :bang head:bang head Their darn tool doesn't support their own drives...

Last edited:
You did get the seagate tool that boots off a CD or floppy, right? and not one that runs off Windows?

think what ever you want about seagates... i know for a fact 60*C temps are WAY WAY too hot, all i own is seagates becides my servers hd... from a barracuda IV to 7200.10 and they have always been cool unless you dont provide the thing with any airflow, then any hd will get hot.

Check to see if the breathing holes are obstructed by 'remanufactured' stickers or dust.

I had a drive come back from service with a 'inspected: PASSED' sticker right over one of the holes that they tell you not to obstruct. (Western Digi) And it ran around these temps. I peeled it off, lo and behold, was perfectly fine.

I've heard of people having the drives fail very quickly in these cases though, so be careful about extended use in the meantime.

Hi.

Well I´ve seen HDD die several ways: Most of them secuential clicks, scratching sounds, chip burning like incense sticks and most of them under strict software and smart surveliance. They are 100% fine and somehow just die in seconds. Hope to die same way when the time comes.

So SMART is only usefull if you have an announced death.
Bad sectors is definately the announce I get that makes my wallet cry.

All other software and SMART rely on sensors that are working wrong because of shocks, humidity, etc. I don´t know.

I also got this Airflow temperature issue on one of my two 250 GB ST3250820AS. Guess the airthight seal of this old HDD is compromised. Already 2+ years laughing at the SMART fail prediction. Manufacturers apps are the way to go, however I mostly use HD Tune, always the long test not the quick one.

Lets test both hdds today 21_Jun_2014:

I press the 25ºC temp icon of Hdtune and "No temperature statistics available".
Health: Airflow temp fails .... Current 75, Worst 44, Threshold 45.
Im running an error scan now, my finger thermometer says HDD is just fine, like for a bubblebath with Adriana Lima XD.
This reliable kitchen thermometer on top of the unit reads 32 Celsius.
Finished 249 Gb all sectors green and check thermometer again ... steady 33 Celsius. Back to HDtune s Health tab ... ahaa yes current temp 60 instead of 75. Dropped. haha bullsh.. , it raised 1 C.
I could be making fried eggs on the surface if it was 75 or 60.

Lets compare and check the twin hdd which is flawless.
I press the temp Icon and I get HDD tune details ... current temp 37C.
Lets put the thermometer for 20 minutes till it finishes to scan. All sectors fine too. Thermometer reads 29C.

What can I say one HDD 29C and the other one 33C, standard and acceptable for me.
HDD dont need fans, unless you have a tremendous heat source near.
It never should go over 45 C, inner components can resist spikes up to 60 for a while, but Ill start to degrade.

I hate noise and would rather attach an old cpu PIV dissipation module block for passive cooling than another FAN on the HDD.

The best sensor is you listen it startup, smell the chip PCB board and touch the disk surface yourself. I´ll give you hints right away.

So if you have a bad HDD and need to DIY then...swap or hit.

If it does nothing and is not recognized at OS. The board is done. Get another junk HDD, the exact same model and swap the board. Presto, you get a working HDD to keep. However if you need to get the data back then you first need to check the chip firmware is exact the same. Send the boards to a service where they swap chip info.

If you hear constant click click its the heads that cant find the data and heads must be replaced. Of course same method, get same junk HDD and swap the whole arms with heads. Heads should not touch each other.
After data recovery trash the disk.

If it does not make that acceleration spiiiiiiIIInnn rrtttrtttrtr sound at startup, its well hahah because its not spinning. Most of times the heads are stuck to the plate or the rotor motor is dead. Put your ear at the rotor axis and hear if the motor is alive. Its an electric sound like when you force the drill motor by holding it strong. If you hear it disconnect HDD, get a rubber hammer and hit it on the side as near as to the arm parking position you can. You want to apply enough strenght so the shock releases the superbonder stuck arm. Half the strenght you use with a regular hammer and nail. If it does not release try just once with the drive connected so the rotor helps to unstuck it. If not, then you have to open the drive and do it manually avoiding to scratch the disk surface. Recover data trash the disk.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps, all info is search-engine-able.:comp:

I've never had a HDD run at 60 degrees C, even after hours and hours virus scanning or defragmenting. Are these 10K RPM drives?

No matter what speed they are, if you're trying to destroy those drives, then don't worry about the temps.

if you care even the slightest bit about the drives, cool them down ASAP.

My Hitachi 7K4000 drives average about 37C and that's as high as any drive I've ever owned.

don't the HD cages have space to mount a 120/140mm fan directly to them? either way, mount some up; zip ties if you have to. depending on the space between those intake fans and the HD cages I'd guess your airflow is close to or at ZERO.

temp setup a decent fan in front or on top or on the side of the HD cage and see if it makes and difference.

has anything changed recently to cause a heat build up? is this just as of recent?

Back