• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reminder: Clean your computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gunlance

Wow is all I can say. I just cleaned my computer for the first time since it was built(a year ago, or more). I never knew a PA120.3 and a GTX240 could hold sooooooo much dust. Took me a good 15 mintues to blow out all of the dust with my compressor. My load temps went from 55 to 41 and my idle temps went from 43 to 30!

SO moral of this story is to clean that computer!:beer:

I've been cleaning my machines out about every 5~6 months, and usually see about 5deg C of improvement. the house isn't too dusty, but definately worth the effort.

I put filters on my intakes, those get cleaned weekly, so I don't get much dust in the case itself

but yeah, every few months it gets a cleaning via compressed air gun

before the intakes, it needed to be cleaned once a month

I've been cleaning my machines out about every 5~6 months, and usually see about 5deg C of improvement. the house isn't too dusty, but definately worth the effort.

If you clean it every day for a week you'll shave 35°c off your numbers. Think about it!

I bought a small 2 gallon compressor a couple of years ago on black friday for only $40. It has more than paid for itself. I blow the dust out of mine every 3-4 weeks. It really is amazing just how much dust a computer sucks in during that time. Thankfully I don't have any indoor pets and plan on keeping it that way.

2 cats and a dog makes me clean the rad weekly along with inside the case. I wasn't my choice to have that much fur around but it makes the better half happy.

did you also clean the inside of the loop, or just the dust?

I only cleaned the dust....I'm sure I could stand to gain better temps from cleaning the loops as well. That just seems like such a daunting process:cry:

I need to pick up a portable air tank to fill with my big compressor for the quick computer jobs.

bah, just buy more hose, my lines can reach my office, so I usually clean things out when the wife's out of the house :)

ha i haven't clean or change the water in my loop for 2 years, it probably growing molts and other nasty stuff in it. but since i don't play much graphic intensity game anymore, i've been too lazy to clean it. oh well, give the excuse to get new water blk etc

bah, just buy more hose, my lines can reach my office, so I usually clean things out when the wife's out of the house :)

But cleaning it inside would put that same dust back in the air to get sucked in right? I usually haul my computer outside even tho its a paint with the small stairway to my room..

I usually have a vacuum out as well, with my allergies all the dust in the air would drive me nuts, so I gotta suck up when I blow out of the computer regardless.

I clean the room where my computer is every 1-2 weeks and clean the computers dust filters etc. every 2 weeks.

Back