• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm running Prime95 Blend Test - when will it be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

southpark2033

Registered
Do I just run it until I stop it or is there a "proper" time to stop it or will it stop itself? It says it passed a self-test (1024k) what does that mean?

Whats the best way to use this thing: 4 hours? 24hours? Oh and it's running 2 threads for both my cores so I understand that much.

It will continue running until it stops due to instability or when you stop it. If you run prime 25.6 it will automatically create a thread for each core.

Run for 3 to 24 hours to determine stability... thats what its for to TEST stability of your CPU and Memory.

Last edited:
if you can run it 24+ hrs stable just means you have a rock-solid OC if your running the "blend" test in vista though it can be a pain to use your computer. i usually just go with a 24hr large FFT run to test for FSB/cpu stability and then use Memtest for a overnight run it can usually do a 900% run over that time, to test for memory stability.

I always test it for longer than the hardest task I will ever ask of my computer. For example, the hardest thing my computer does is video editing work and big render jobs take 4 hours. After effects work is very memory intensive so I make sure my ram is super stable. With that in mind, if I am 8 hours Prime Stable then I am fairly sure nothing will ever crash my computer during normal use. I guess the longer you test for the better.

+1 12 hours. Lots of people agree that a 24hr blend is the trick, but hard to see a diff from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
first i set my memory ratio to 1:1, so i kno my memory isnt holding me back. i use the large fft to test cpu/fsb and after i find the highest stable cpu OC, i start to OC my memory and test using memtest.

just remember NO MATTER how long you test, it still could be unstable, just the longer you run it, the probability of failure decreases, but i agree 8-24 hrs depending how paranoid/mission critical your computer is

I run small fft overnight to stress the CPU. Then I run OOCT2.0 custom 2hr RAM test to stress the NB/RAM (very important on quads). I also do memtest86+ for at least 2 passes.

Then I like to drop my FSB 5MHz (or close to that) to give myself some cushion.

Back