• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF 170mb For IE Download Window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am baffled at this and now I know why I moved to firefox anyways I opened up a browser to quickly get a nvidia driver just opened IE I was in a rush. Anyways I started the download and closed the whole of IE leaving the download window open upon checking task manager because it felt sluggish I noticed Iexplore.exe taken 168mb I was like WTF for 1 window can anyone maybe give me a idea of why it would use that much.

Last edited:
Was it downloading the driver into memory? That is all I can think of. FF for the win.

I wouldn't bash IE that much... In my experience Firefox always used more RAM than IE, even at start up.. :rolleyes:
Pic below shows IE (41mb) and FF (67mb) having loaded exactly the same page.

FF3 does seem to be faster, however... :cool:

Attachments

• ieff.JPG
    ieff.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 142
If you try using the IE Explorer 8 beta, it seems to use even less memory than FF3 or IE 7. Just opened OCForums main page in both IE 8 beta and FF3, FF3 was like 72mb and IE 8 was 24 mb.

I wouldn't bash IE that much... In my experience Firefox always used more RAM than IE, even at start up.. :rolleyes:
Pic below shows IE (41mb) and FF (67mb) having loaded exactly the same page.

FF3 does seem to be faster, however... :cool:

About the same here firefox 60MBs, IE7 40MBs. with just this page loaded.

Firefox add-ons I'm sure add to this total though correct? IE with no add-ons...

No matter how many (or none) add-on's I'd have loaded for FF, it'd always use more MB's... I'm not sure why it does that but overall, it does seem to be speedier.

Good note on IE 8 beta however... Is it any faster than IE7?

FF has since 1.5+ taken more memory. It's a "feature". Actually what a lot of the memory goes for, they said, was storing data so when you hit the back button it almost instantly loads the pages. Even when you close a tab and reopen the closed tab, it puts the tab right back where it was, with the page and all the history of that tab. So a lot of information is being saved. That is the reason they gave way back when.

We are all just hurting for RAM aren't we?

LOL

I am considering putting both my 2x2GB sets in one pc and I have not taxed 4GB yet!!!

Anywhoo

Thought this was an interesting post over at doom9

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1179309#post1179309

There has to be some kind of mistake here. Dont get me wrong I love Opera, it is the only browser i will use. I just finished a two week stint with FF3, to "give it a whirl" cuz I like popular stuff :) And can honestly say that it is not ready for release yet..
(oh wait it is released lol j/k)

I never understand how people can bash IE when its been largely uncomplicated, ready to go out of the box and the biggest complaint against it was, security. Since FF took some of that 90% proliferation that IE had, it now has security issues too. *sigh* You know what really screws both browsers up? addons

I will stick with opera. the only "addon/extension" it needs is a spellchecker, that would be great for people that should not post like me. That is too say if I thought while posting I would not need a spell checker! edit: a grammar checker on the other hand....

Opera does everything out of the box. Mail, ad blocking etc etc (it is not adblocking though... its "content" blocking, so you can block objectional material.. (like big flashy advertisements ;) ) tabbed browsing, resume from last if your PC crashes while opera is running. It remembers everything.

Hitting "back" on the browser window does not "relaod" the page, it goes back to exactly how you left it.. (same with forward) which is great if I am making a long post like this, I can hit back right now. read, hit forward and everything I typed is still there :)

Now aside from all of that favoritism...

I find it hard to beleive that opera uses 1/5th to 1/6th of the memory that both FF3 and Chrome do.

(well chrome is a n00b so it will be a while before that is usable...)

So take it with a pound of salt :)

Last edited:
My IE7 is @ 194.4mb right now. Granted i am at work and have not turned my pc off in about a week and i do lots of random browsing at work.

haha

nvm up to 250mb now that i'm watching the woot offs. Jerks don't ship to canada :(

Last edited:
Back