• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 - Trying to get a little more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ecstasy

Hey, I have a q6600 g0 running at 3.0ghz on an Asus P5Q-Pro with Corsair XMS2 DHX (TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX) ram. My third core gets errors on prime95 with anything over 3.0ghz. Currently I'm running at 1.27v. I tried 3.15ghz @ 1.32v but the 3rd failed again. The third also happens to run coolest of the 4 cores by 5C. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting past 3.0ghz because I know it's possible. I'm using a Xigmatek S1283 cooler. VID is 1.3250 btw.

Here's my bios incase anyone can see anything that might need changing. Ram is set to a 1:1 ratio @ a 4-4-4-12 timing. The pictures say I'm at 1.29v on the cpu but I changed it to 1.27v.

downsized_1016081503.jpg
downsized_1016081503a.jpg
1016081504.jpg
downsized_1016081504a.jpg

I'd say 1.35vcore for 8 x 400 or 9 x 350.... that q6600 can take LOTS of voltage. You could push that chip up to 1.5vcore for daily so long as u got cooling for it.

I'd say 1.35vcore for 8 x 400 or 9 x 350.... that q6600 can take LOTS of voltage. You could push that chip up to 1.5vcore for daily so long as u got cooling for it.

I'm gonna up the voltage to 1.41v or so now and test 3.15ghz again then up it from there and report back ^^

Btw what's a good threshold for heat. Right now at idle i'm at about 34C and 55 at 100% load. Hmm.. Core 1 is running at 58C and core 3 is 49C. Maybe I should reseat my heatsink with the lga775 screw retention bracket adapter for a better fit instead of the push pins. 10C is a huge gap.

Last edited:
I would agree with most of the above reply's.
Try 3.2GHz with 1.45v if that is stable, reduce the volts until unstable then put it back up a notch or 2, you should then be right for 24/7 use. You could do the same thing starting both the CPU speed and the volts a little higher and see how you go also. You may get to 3.4GHZ with around 1.5v. but I would not go higher than that for 24/7 use.
But watch your temps.

Well, right now I'm running prime 95 with a fsb of 370 so 9x370 = 3.33Ghz at 1.44v. Cores 1 and 2 are at 62C and cores 3 and 4 are at 55C steady. These temps are at 100% load obviously since it's prime 95. No initial errors or warnings. Are these temperatures within the realm of safety? At no load to mild load temps were 38C-44C. I'll run prime95 tonight while I sleep and if there were any problems I'll back it down.

Well, right now I'm running prime 95 with a fsb of 370 so 9x370 = 3.33Ghz at 1.44v. Cores 1 and 2 are at 62C and cores 3 and 4 are at 55C steady. These temps are at 100% load obviously since it's prime 95. No initial errors or warnings. Are these temperatures within the realm of safety? At no load to mild load temps were 38C-44C. I'll run prime95 tonight while I sleep and if there were any problems I'll back it down.

The temps are OK the temp spread across the cores is also OK not great but OK up to 9% is OK I have read, and your vcore is within safe 24/7 limits so that is all good.
Just a couple of things to consider.
What TIM are you using and how did you apply it. Don't use the crap generic gunk supplied with most coolers, a better TIM may drop your temps another 5°C - 10°C.
Also you could lap the HDT cooler and CPU this will reduce temps a bit, and if you are lucky as I was my cores now only vary 2°C -3°C under load. Many people said lapping the CPU does not even out core temps, but it did in my case so you may also be lucky like I was. Just the luck of the draw with that I suppose.

The temps are OK the temp spread across the cores is also OK not great but OK up to 9% is OK I have read, and your vcore is within safe 24/7 limits so that is all good.
Just a couple of things to consider.
What TIM are you using and how did you apply it. Don't use the crap generic gunk supplied with most coolers, a better TIM may drop your temps another 5°C - 10°C.
Also you could lap the HDT cooler and CPU this will reduce temps a bit, and if you are lucky as I was my cores now only vary 2°C -3°C under load. Many people said lapping the CPU does not even out core temps, but it did in my case so you may also be lucky like I was. Just the luck of the draw with that I suppose.

I'm using Arctic Silver 5. I might have put a bit more than the directions stated though lol.

I'm using Arctic Silver 5. I might have put a bit more than the directions stated though lol.

HDT coolers perform better when the TIM is applied like this.
Pics taken from: Application on HDT Coolers. Link HERE.

Attachments

• HDT_TIM_Application_Pipe_Fill 1.jpg
    HDT_TIM_Application_Pipe_Fill 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 391
I guess my Q6600 is special:beer:... I am completely stable at [email protected]

Haha wow that's real good. So when I woke up this morning at the end of a 10 hour prime95 run i had no errors at 3.3ghz @ 1.44v but my temps were 67C on the first and second core and 56C on 3 and 4. I put a lot of blame on the fact that my dorm room temperature is regulated by the office and it's close to 80F in here. If it was a regular temperature id expect quite a drop in temperature. I'm going to try backing down the voltages later and see if I can get rid of some of this heat. Maybe sometime in the future i'll lap everything to see if I can get these temperatures closer to each other.. or use the screw in retention bracket instead of push pins to get more even coverage spread.

Generally, the lower the VID, the higher the overclock you can get out of your Q6600. My VID is 1.275V and I run 3.6GHz Prime stable at 1.47V for reference.

Just remember, if you re-apply AS5, your temps might be a little higher at first because of the curing time. It is not recommended you add additional paste to your currently cured and applied layer. Cleaning off the processor and re-seating the heatsink would be your best bet.

Generally, the lower the VID, the higher the overclock you can get out of your Q6600. My VID is 1.275V and I run 3.6GHz Prime stable at 1.47V for reference.

Just remember, if you re-apply AS5, your temps might be a little higher at first because of the curing time. It is not recommended you add additional paste to your currently cured and applied layer. Cleaning off the processor and re-seating the heatsink would be your best bet.

Yeah, that has been my experience also with the Q6600. I have a 1.25v vid Q6600 that is P95/Seti stable at 3.6 with 1.432v and I have a 1.325v vid Q6600 that is P95/Seti stable at 3.3 with 1.344v. But the 1.325v Q6600 is at the ramp up point of the overclock curve here too and to get another 100 MHz would entail jumping the vcore up around to 1.5v for stability. Both of them are under watercooling.

Ecstasy: VID dictates the upper VRD value for vCore... under load (stock), voltage at the Vcc lands (CPU) has to always stay a <dictated amount> lower than VID (besides momentous [μs] overshoot) to stay within stability, reliability and longevity limits.

If you have a higher VID, it means the vCore will also be higher (at stock) for that TDP. It also means you can go up quite a bit on vCore providing your cooling is up-to task. Lower VID is always lower vCore providing the MB is not overvolting. Your temperature limit is a personal choice but I tend to always stay below 65°C load with Summer socket ambients in mind, for many experienced reasons.

- The amount of vCore you can hike is dependent on your starting vCore and cooling. AC has a much lower limit than WC since water reduces dynamic and static leakage of the chip and hence TDP. If your starting vCore for 95W TDP was 1.30v, you can obviously go to 1.40v (7.6%) without any problem whilst the individual with 1.20v starting vCore cannot apply 1.40v without serious cooling due to a large temperature and power hike since he just threw a 16.7% increase in voltage. Core Temperature/Power depend on Current/Voltage/Frequency mainly and all shoot up together in OC/OV. The Xig has a cooling limit near 0.15°C/W at the peak, so you can work out the CPU settings you need to stay under a cetain temp in any emvironment.

For instance, my last (favorite and best) Q6600 was 1.2375VID. Probably the best batch I've seen. That meant stock vCore was 1.184v loadline. At that voltage, 3.15G was fully stable. But these were the older batch (the best) that are far better than the last 4 month worth of Q66 batches. 1.35v on this CPU meant a TRUE/Xig with 152CFM Delta could not cool it below 80°C under 3 minute Linpack load at 19°C socket ambients. It was too much for air. I'm estimating your air (cooling) absolute limit will be near 1.480v loadline given you VID/vCore to stay below 80°C in Linpack (Intel Burn Test) with 19°C socket ambients. For Prime95 that would probably read about 5°C lower.

- The Xig 1283 is one damn excellent and priced cooler for these quads... however, you may need to add another fan near it to force more air through at extreme loads. A more powerful than stock fan does slightly better. I used the exact same HSF just before I sold my Q66 and 3.85G was quite easily load stable but the temps were too unreasonably high.

- Ceramique worked better IME than Silver 5 for quads with these coolers. My home experience is with around 13 quads now in the past 12 months trying both with upto 100 hours under Linpack load at a time every week, or so. The application of TIM is also extremely vital with these coolers as that good link points out and make very sure you clean the grooves well (a bit of a task), which will affect your temps. :)

Just thought I'd give a little update: currently running at 3.42ghz @ 1.45 stable. Core 1 & 2 max temp is 65C, core 3 and 4 max temp is 58C under 100% load obviously (I feel safe with this as I never realistically use 100% of all 4 cores and my regular temperatures are in the 40-45C range. Here are some 3D mark scores.

GPU = Constant overclock of 790 gpu, 1100mhz memory.

16269 gpu overclocked/cpu 2.40ghz 3D mark 05
19229 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.00ghz 3D mark 05
19712 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.15ghz 3D mark 05
20572 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.33ghz 3D mark 05
20691 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.42ghz 3D mark 05

12891 gpu overclocked/cpu 2.40ghz 3D mark 06
14926 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.00ghz 3D mark 06
15214 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.15ghz 3D mark 06
15614 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.33ghz 3D mark 06
15683 gpu overclocked/cpu 3.42ghz 3D mark 06

After passing prime95 at 3.42ghz I'm tempted to push it to 3.5ghz and see how it holds up. I wont be increasing the voltage past 1.45 but I wonder if I can squeeze a bit more out of this particular voltage.

Mine runs a pedestrian 3.0GHz @1.36v

Runs 2xSMP_FAH clients 24/7 at mid 40s temps with a TR SI-128S sink.

Rest of specs in my sig.

I noticed all of your voltages except for ram and vcore are all in auto. I had one heck of a time tring to push my Q6600 with them set to auto. I think the board was setting them too high or to low. If I were you i would find the min and max settings for your board and set them manually. That could help you out alot.

Back