• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory sugestions for a Maximus II Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to agree with meionm. Get at least 4GB even if you have a 32bit operating system which addresses up to 3.5GB.

Source: Corsair PDF, Legit review. Do note they are using vista 64bit. As you know, vista uses more RAM and 64bit operating system utilities all 4GB of RAM.

Heatspreadors look fat, you might not be able to install additional memory in the future.

I have seen some people having problems with running memory above pc8000, most of the time with stock cpu or mild cpu oc.

I would go with g.skill kit, similar price, twice the amount.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Running these exact modules currently in a Maximus II Formula.
Actually have 2 sets for 8GB @ 1088MHz. Only had the board for a couple of days so this weekend I can hopefully crank it up a bit more.

Thanks!
I was trying to stick with DDR2 1200 for maximum performance. I do plan on going to 64bit something at sometime (so that was helpfull), not really considering Vista. I agree that the spreaders are a bit leggy.

Here's an add on question. Is better to do 4 1 gig sticks or 2, 2 gig sticks? Only going to run 4 gig max so whats better performance wise? Does the MB even car?

Here's an add on question. Is better to do 4 1 gig sticks or 2, 2 gig sticks? Only going to run 4 gig max so whats better performance wise? Does the MB even car?

4X1 is more difficult on the northbridge (memory control hub). You can find faster 1 GB sticks than 2 GB sticks. Running 4x1 will generally not allow the sticks to run quite as fast as they would in a 2x1 configuration.

Back