• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Graphics card without bottlenecking my ocmputer!! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theredman1976

Registered
Asus Maximus II formula LGA 775
Intel Core 2 quad Q9550 Overclocked 3.650 (right now)
Nanya DDR2 800 mhz ram
CM 212 Hyper EVO cooler

Runs Solid at 39C Prime test 61c full load

I have a HIS ddr3 6670 pci-e card currently and its struggling to play COD, WOW, Diablo III, and most of the NFS games that I have on here for now? I was curious what would fit better without bottlenecking?

HIS iCooler H260XFN2GD Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

But is that going to improve the graphics very much? And is the system going to run it without a major bottleneck? I am very new at all this and TONS of trial and error, found most of the o/c system settings on here for the motherboard and cpu but the graphics card is struggling still on benchmark testing... passmark test score 3d was only a 913 and runs most games at around 15-28 fps ... .... help!

PSU make and model#, Wattage?

Budget?

Your current card is relatively poor because it's the cheaper version, bottlenecked with slower video memory; moving up to the 260X would be a big jump, probably benching over 2k in Passmark. Not sure what the upper limit graphics card would be for that CPU.

Oops - Welcome ^^

I am sorry didn't mean to be rude, its a good card just had some trouble with it... it actually out rated this one by quite a bit but never got it to benchmark faster than this one? I know that xfire would def bottleneck this system even though it has two pci-e slots on it, so thought one good card would be great to put in here so that we can at least figure out her computer and fix most of it back up.. I am currently trying to put together another system as well....

I had a similar set up to yours about a month ago before I built my new system.
Q9550
Asus board
XMS Corsair 800mhz ram

I put a 760gtx ( the same card I still have ) ( I note that you don't like NVidia ) but the full band width of PCIE 2.0 is never used by a 2.0 card, and there is very little difference when putting a 3.0 card in a 2.0 socket as they are backwards compatible.

I played all the games you are trying and never experienced a bottle neck. I moved from a 560 gtx 448 to 760 gtx both cards more than capable of handling any of the listed games.

if you buy a PCIE 3.0 card you are at least future proofed a bit should you decide to upgrade later on.

Did you try SLI on the board, I did see a few on 3dmark 11 that are setup sli and xfire as well? did look like some bottleneck happened with the sparatic numbers with the same cpuQ9550 all o/c to 4.0ghz (which I wish mine was lol) but rather not chance with air cooled system... I did see a ton of the 970 and 760 gtx cards on there as well? and 7850 cards too! I did some research on the 8800 gts as well... I apparently got the 320mb card as well, was discounted at the local computer store... which is out of business. I did see a few with R9 290 cards on there but they were smoked but 760 and 7950 cards.

A 270x would be a fine addition to that system. Plenty power from a near entry level price tag. Another option is the 750ti.

The other I found out is that I lost another crucial basilisk ram chip.... down to 4gb ddr2 800... I seen on Newegg they do make a g skill ddr2 800 but timing is not the same.... suggestions? Oh and how do you like the fx 8320? I have the Asus Crosshair V Formula Z AMD 990FX AM3+ ATX Motherboard, was saving for the 8320 next computer build, this one is going to my son. He helped me build it.

Back