• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reverendkilljoy

So this past weekend I installed my new water cooling setup. Once I got everything hooked up, i primed the water pump, but, like an idiot, I turned my pc on without having the liqiud cycle thru, and my pc was on for a couple of minutes before it shut itself down. So i cycled the liquid, got the air bubbles out with a seperate power supply. Then I turned my pc on, and now it takes forever to boot, like a good 5 to 8 minutes, and when I go into the bios, the bios is slow as well. But once it goes thru all the processes, it can't load up windows and it restarts itself.

I resetted the cmos, took the cmos battery out, tried to boot from my vista dvd, and tried another harddrive that has xp on it. My friend thinks its either a lack of power or a component is fried. Any thoughts? Here is my setup:

intel 8400@3ghz
4gb gskill ram
8800gt
600 watt ocz power supply

and i have a gtx120 rad, a Black Ice xtreme 2 240 rad, a Swiftech MCP655-B pump, and a dangerden ione gpu block

man thats awful..

to avoid that you shouldnt have had the mobo plugged in until long after your loop was finished, mounted, and leak tested.

really, I have never heard of a situation like this.

first I would do, limit anything you do not need to turn the pc on. cd drives, hard drives, peripherals.

when u get into the bios, does everything look fine? You say everything is really slow?

what kind of data are you getting PC health status?

my guess is the cpu got screwed but I am not sure. I would probably try reseating the proc, ie compeltely removing it from your board.

next i would go trying a new proc in that same board or trying your proc in another board.

huge long shot but was your 8800 on water? maybe that was damaged and is screwing up your boot. can you try another vid card?

this response is probably pretty jumbled, I am a little distracted. hopefully I have given you some ideas tho.

good luck

So this past weekend I installed my new water cooling setup. Once I got everything hooked up, i primed the water pump, but, like an idiot, I turned my pc on without having the liqiud cycle thru, and my pc was on for a couple of minutes before it shut itself down. So i cycled the liquid, got the air bubbles out with a seperate power supply. Then I turned my pc on, and now it takes forever to boot, like a good 5 to 8 minutes, and when I go into the bios, the bios is slow as well. But once it goes thru all the processes, it can't load up windows and it restarts itself.

I resetted the cmos, took the cmos battery out, tried to boot from my vista dvd, and tried another harddrive that has xp on it. My friend thinks its either a lack of power or a component is fried. Any thoughts? Here is my setup:

intel 8400@3ghz
4gb gskill ram
8800gt
600 watt ocz power supply

and i have a gtx120 rad, a Black Ice xtreme 2 240 rad, a Swiftech MCP655-B pump, and a dangerden ione gpu block

Sounds like you may have knocked a SATA cable loose or a disk drive jumper.
Possibly the optical drive jumper.

you have plenty of juice for the setup. Did you install vista first or Water cooling setup? If you installed os first, did you change any components during the wc installation.

Another, check for any bad cabling. uninstalled the CPU water block and try it with air. sometimes tightening the cpu block too tight can issues.

To phil178821: when i get into the bios everything seems good, except for being extremely laggy and slow. my 8800 is watered, and it could have been damaged too. But luckily i had 8800 sli'd is my previous rig, so i can test my other one that i didn't water cool. But I don't know if I want to waste money on a new processor and have it not be the problem, so I'll try the air route my next day off, and see if there are any scortch marks on it. And if i did completely screw up, then lesson learned lol.

To RJARRRPCGP: I tried a sata hard drive and a ide hard drive and both didn't boot. and was still slow and laggy.

To BioTuned: I had vista installed first. and the only hardware change was that i went from sli to non sli. And I am going to go the airroute my next day off.

Thanks so far, I'll keep you guys posted. And if you have anymore ideas, feel free to throw them out. This is turning into an expensive lesson lol.

also check to see if something is shorting the system. while applying TIM you can accidently spill or drop or etc, (u get the point) on a mobo, and some of these TIM are conductive and can cause issues.

hm, i'll try that. also, i just remembered, i got the thermaltake armor case and it didn't come with any instructions, so i had no idea where the protective stickies were to go, until i got to work and looked it up on the internet. so i think my mobo was touching the case when i turned it on. any thoughts?

you thermal paste MAY have gotten burnt, not sure if that can happen so quickly. but i would change out the paste. go into bios and check temps , if there high then it will slow the rig down.

To BioTuned: I had vista installed first. and the only hardware change was that i went from sli to non sli. And I am going to go the airroute my next day off.

Really short question for ya. Is there a card on your motherboard for setting SLI? (Eg. on some ASUS MB's there is a small card that you have to flip if you want to use SLI. It looks, and is installed like a laptop's SODIMM module minus the memory chips on the card. It should have "Single Card" and "SLI Card" silkscreened on it.) If your motherboard has this card on it, usually between the two PCI-E slots, make sure that you have it installed in the "Single Card" side. If it's set to SLI and you only have one card installed, it could result in either the system not POSTing or an issue similar to yours.

Hope this helps. ;)

EDIT: Here is a pic showing the card that I'm talking about. It's the red card between the PCI-E slots.

question! would i be able to put electric tape over the case protrusions, so my mobo wouldn't be touching the metal but just the tape. would that be safe.

question! would i be able to put electric tape over the case protrusions, so my mobo wouldn't be touching the metal but just the tape. would that be safe.
My question to you is what is touching the motherboard? I had that case and there is absolutely nothing that should be anywhere near the bottom of the motherboard. The only thing I can think of is if you put a standoff in the wrong spot.

Can you please clarify?

over tightened block could have caused it.

I am a little lost about what you are describing with your board, contact and grounding. can you explain this a little better?

what have you done so far since the initial issue?

also, i doubt its your vid card so save that for last.

hm, i'll try that. also, i just remembered, i got the thermaltake armor case and it didn't come with any instructions, so i had no idea where the protective stickies were to go, until i got to work and looked it up on the internet. so i think my mobo was touching the case when i turned it on. any thoughts?

If you install it correctly with stand offs you shouldn't have the motherboard grounding on the case, make sure you are using the correct standoffs and correct screws but before you do that listen to the others and change your thermalpaste.

I got my pc up and running. I put the case's usb cables in the wrong spot...go figure!!!! but now one of my 8800gt took a crap, oh well tomorrow is pay day!

Back