• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu2 visualization help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate35

I am setting up a 24/7 folding computer at my school. which will display gpu2 visualization. I will be using an 8600gt so I think the visualization will show movement. That is my first question, will the visualization be moving enough to be interesting with an 8600gt?

My second question is how much will the visualization degrade performance?

I need it to desplay so people will be drawn over and then can read a little "note" that I put near it. The note will explane a bit on what folding is and how to join up.

Last edited:
Running the display Blue screens my PC...I don't know if you want to risk running it. Research it a little more to see if its wide spread or not.

this will be a dedicated folding machine so if it is not good for folding it won't be good for anything lol.

are you talking about a gpu heat sink?

I can say with experience (I fold on a 8600 GTS) that the visualization is a terrible idea. It gave me a great deal of errors, slowed down the folding, and was laggy like no other. I would not use it, but that is just my two cents.

I think that what I will do is make a power point like thing and run that on my other processor. I will be using a Pentium d 820 that I had lying around.

This way I can get maximum performance and also get people interested. sounds good to me.

any objections to this idea?

I might do that. I have a lot of air moving in the case rignt now, so I will see what the temperatures are like. but that is a good idea.

I think that what I will do is make a power point like thing and run that on my other processor. I will be using a Pentium d 820 that I had lying around.

This way I can get maximum performance and also get people interested. sounds good to me.

any objections to this idea?

This is a good idea the folding itself is not the problem its just running the Display.

So what you can do is just run the client from the console or tray, and have the PowerPoint running on the same machine. No need for an independent machine just for PowerPoint unless you want to fold on that too. ;)

Back