• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OSX: Can't Bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mother Goose

Problem: When I boot up my Macbook, I get the flashing question mark.

Failed Solutions:
  1. I booted using the Install disk and went to Disk Utility. The hard drive was not mounted.
  2. I reset the PRAM. I noticed that the Mac startup sound goes on now, but the same problem (question mark) persists.
  3. I went to Disk Utility again. HD still not mounted.
  4. I held the option key when booting to go to the Startup Manager. The mouse pointer appears on a grey screen, now, but nothing else

What do I do?

Is the drive detected at all in Disk utility? It sounds like a dead hard drive. You can try repairing the drive from disk utility by manually mounting it. If that doesn't work, you'll need a new drive.

Is the drive detected at all in Disk utility? It sounds like a dead hard drive. You can try repairing the drive from disk utility by manually mounting it. If that doesn't work, you'll need a new drive.

I agree, the question mark means it is trying to read the drive. If it were the sad mac face then it would be other issues:

unhappy-mac-logo.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is a "sad Mac" icon anymore. That looks like a picture that somebody crafted, not any real part of OS X. Older Macs running the Classic OS used to use sad mac icons during failed bootups (along with a hex error code and one of the various chimes of death sounds), but I haven't seen that on any Mac in a long time. Perhaps a "sad mac" icon was included in Leopard, or the firmware of the latest intel Macs; I'm not certain either way but I work on a lot of broken Macs and I have never seen it. :)

And yeah OP, at first thought it sounds like your hard drive has failed. Do you hear any abnormal noises coming from the computer?

Edit: Oh yeah, any true sad mac icon should have "X" eyes. :p

Last edited:
Back