• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC i5 10600k but Windows10 20H2 blocks BIOS OC settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamie6870

Registered
Hi,
I have a question I can't answer, even after hours of searching (...).
And... I also asked this question yesterday in another place. But no tip yet... maybe I should have more patience?
But since I didn't encounter a similar problem there, I ask for help here as well.

My question
I did a (small) OC via the BIOS. (After several tutorials...)
However now it appears that Windows 10 20H2 ignores my BIOS settings and resets the CPU to the values specified by Intel. This can be seen with CpuZ.

Windows starts up, then I immediately start CpuZ and see that the settings of the BIOS are taken into account.
After a few seconds of Windows booting I see in CpuZ that the settings are reset to multiplier 45 and the CPU speed is now also max 4500.

Relevant software and hardware I use
My MB is a Gigabyte Z490UD and has the latest BIOS version on it.
CPU is an i5 10600k

What I have already found or tried
I have found that this is a familiar thing. And also in a number of years.
Windows calls a file called: mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll
There are several ways to bypass this file. This by changing the name.
This can be done without any problems.
However, this does not give any result for me. I read that this also happens regularly to other people.

It is also advised to update the BIOS to the latest version. I went from F3 to the last one, F6c.
This doesn't make a difference however.
Because the BIOS is sometimes mentioned in other forums, as a reason for Windows to reset the settings of the BIOS, I also sent Gigabyte a message.

So, what I hope is... that someone can help me that Windows 10 20H2 gives me the freedom to set the CPU settings myself :) ... Instead of Windows taking Intel's advice...

Greetings Jamie

Hey Jamie! Welcome... let's get you situated. :)

Are you sure you're seeing the right clocks? Isn't 4.5 GHz the all core turbo? Can you post a screenshot of Hwinfo so it shows the minimum clocks, current etc?

I have 10 series on Z490 running 20H2 without issue... and 10980XE also on 20H2 that overclock without issue.

Thanks for your welcome!
Good to know that the Z470 with the ten series on windows is possible!
Then I sincerely hope I'm making a mistake somewhere.

I don't have the fastest GPU, I know... I wanted a quiet card.
With no less than the 4GB of Palit.
It is the Palit GTX 1650KalmX.
But... I regularly run into to little power...
So, in the course of time I will have to look for another one.

ps.. the memory is set to profile XMP - DDR4-3600 (as the speed of this memory is)

er1Tfa9.jpg

Last edited:
How about hwinfo? I want to see min/max/average. Just leave it up on desktop open a few things up...play a game for a few minutes... see what those are and if it's boosting correctly.

What values did you set in the first place?

OK, how do I show you the min/max/average? Or do I need to look en write down the min/max/average?

I will make a list of the BIOS settings.The things I've changed. It will take some time..
edit.. I'll put some pictures of the bios settings.
Seems better than a written list...

Last edited:
YOu can take images in the bios.. plug a USB stick in and typically, the button is F12. Then you can upload them here (go advanced in your reply and you'll see the image to upload).

As far as capturing the data, download the application and open it up (sensors only)... do the activities and take a screenshot. ;)

Yes, I did that. However, doesn't do the trick.. (setting power to the max)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I woke up this morning and thought...
Cpu-Z clearly shows immediately after startup that the CPU is running on my bios settings. Then after a second or so the multiplier drops back to 45.
So I think it must be software making the changes.

I made a Linux - Ubuntu - USB and did CPU-x or -g (I forgot) and a CPU stress test.
The CPU then runs perfectly at the value I set.
So maybe drivers for the Z490 from Gigabyte? Or Intel Chipset Device Software?
Something to look at? Or is it not possible that Gigabyte releases drivers that can cause this?

Drivers from Gigabyte...installed on my computer (edit ... is there maybe an easy way to uninstall these drivers?)
de8UocA.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt any of those drivers did this (wouldn't someone else have this issue/it be prevalent?) and you don't want to uninstall them. ;)

Can you provide the images requested earlier, please? Looking for Hwinfo that shows, min/max/average and your bios settings. The screen you provided just about my previous post, shows things look to be normal with the base clock and turbo settings........

Also, you can DL and have Intel XTU running (just open the application). At the bottom, it lists throttling reasons... see if any of those light up...

You're right, yes, the drivers are OK.

I found something... something from Gigabyte.
When I install Gigabyte's System Information View there's the downfall...
I used SIV because it has Smart Fan in it.

So... found and answered my question.
But, does anyone have any advice on which program to use for fan control and temp info?
I will skip the Gigabyte software.

When I use my OC settings via the BIOS, the CPU stays at the MAX Mhz I entered.
Normally the core speed drops back when the computer is inactive.
Can I also set the throttling active with my OC settings? Or have I just disabled it with my OC settings? Constantly full power is a bit over the top I think.. Now I can look for the perfect OC settings!
Meanwhile the computer is running perfectly at 5000Mhz 1.272v, but not yet stressed the system.
Temp is 41C / F105.

Last edited:
I use the BIOS and set everything to low. The difference between low to high temp-wise isn't much (a few C) so I stopped making that effort. :)
When I use my OC settings via the BIOS, the CPU stays at the MAX Mhz I entered.
This is normal. You're likely setting a static overclock. When you post images of your BIOS, we can see. ;)

Can I also set the throttling active with my OC settings? Or have I just disabled it with my OC settings? Constantly full power is a bit over the top I think..
See above. It's how you set the OC.

41C idle? Seems a bit toasty. So long as your stress test loads are around 90C or less, it's ok though.

OK, I understand.
I will make some images.

The 41C is not completely idle..
Idle is 32C for 15minutes now..
Full load test (yesterday.) 80/85C, have to do it again though.

Is a 'full load test' one from a stress test (if so which one and what settings... how long did you run it, etc)? We should be sure our terms match for clarity. :)

... :) for sure and for sertain, not a full stress test.
But, now I know how to get the results I want... with a thank you for your help.. to come :D
However, first I am looking for a fan control program with temperature display - I liked smartfan from Gigabyte.
Just to be sure..
Do you maybe have an idea?

OK.
Do I understand that the temperature settings in the BIOS settings are enough for temp control?
And do the fans adjust themselves through the settings in the BIOS?
I always used fancontrol programs..

OK.
Do I understand that the temperature settings in the BIOS settings are enough for temp control?
And do the fans adjust themselves through the settings in the BIOS?
I always used fancontrol programs..
Should be. Most have options for static speeds or by temperature. Look in the HW monitoring section and see. :)

Should be. Most have options for static speeds or by temperature. Look in the HW monitoring section and see. :)

Yes, the bios is set to auto fan control.. of course.

Here are some images from the BIOS.
I have not set much.
And ... the system is not really stable.
After ten minutes of stress CPU, the computer reboots.

1 core has max 82C, 1 core has max 87C (Unfortunately there is a Central Heating tube running right in front of the computer case... and the fan certainly draws some heat from it. This is unavoidable).
Because I only put one fan on the heatsink, I added the second one. This might care a degree or so.

But first the correct BIOS settings.
Advice is certainly welcome.

View attachment 212584
View attachment 212585
View attachment 212586
View attachment 212587
View attachment 212588

I'd lower ring ratio to auto... little point in tweaking that.

What stress test are you using and what settings?

And... I put the second fan on the heatsink.
The max temp is now 77 instead of 87. Saves indeed 10C.
I leave this one on.

For stress test I don't have a special program.
Only Cpu-Z in use.
I thought... when I would be able to OC the CPU by finding out what prevented me from overclocking..., I’d ask for advice which test best to use.
As far as I understand, Cpu-Z simply sets the CPU to full power. And so I thought, that is step 1.

I will set the Ring Ratio on auto. - check!
Do you have any advice more to tweak besides the CPU clock ratio?

addition..
I red some of the posts here and reading the 'overclockers.com/how-to-overclock'
And I have a question..
My Memory is 3600 but I have the i5 10600k. I have the mem settings at XMP.
Is it useful to tweak the VCCIO and VCCSA?
Or, because the speed of the memory is above what the i5 10600k can handle, just leave it as is?
I think 5000Mhz is a safe max voor the i5 10600k.

Why I am trying to get as much as possible out of the computer?
Well, I am using a program that highly recommends the I9 9900K, MEM DDR4 32GB, Video 10GB.
I ‘only’ have a i5 10600k, 16GB, video 4GB.

If everything works out in the future, I might buy myself some upgrades, but it comes with a price. So, I’m willing to tweak the system to a safe max 😊

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Back