• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump after radiator or res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s002wjh

just curious the best loop is, pump after the radiator or the res?

i was think pump->vga -> rad -> res -> pump
or pump->vga -> res -> rad -> pump

Oldskool is correct. The priority is first and foremost to feed the pump. You must make sure it is primed properly in order for the loop to have flow. The reservoir or T-Line has to be placed such that it drains into or fills up the pump b4 you fire it up. Ideally, you would like a reservoir sitting somewhere above and directly b4 the pump. Or have a t-line make an intersection somewhere between the last waterblock in the loop and the pump on a downward slope so as to allow the t-line to directly fill the pump. Examples of this can be seen in the pictures below:

img0372ku7bo9.jpg

img0717nc8.jpg

This one works too, except the t-line fills up the entire bottom of the loop instead of just the pump.
img0812kf7.jpg

In this case, the loop required constant attention and priming(topping up) for the first 5 minutes or so, while the water made it's way through the loop and back through to the t-line intersection to get to the self priming stage.

I strongly recommend RES => PUMP always......

number one concern is to keep the pump fed with water, and that is the job of the resevoir.

priming the system will be quick and easy with the res feeding the pump......and should water level ever get low (shame on you if you let that happen, ha ha)....the res will help to keep the water flowing, and the system cool.

so my vote.... RES => PUMP => WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT (temps are going to equalize anyways.....so who cares what comes next really.......

oh, and always flow into the 'bottom' of the next component and out of the 'top' to promote purging of air.

Back