• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macca

I'm running Dual Xeons (5340's) on a SUPERMICRO X7DCA-L, in a Cooler master HAF 932 case. I have one extra 120mm fan in the 5 1/4 bays aimed at the heatsinks. My heatsinks are Thermaltake CL-P0303's.

I think these heatsinks have a lot to do with my problems. I've tried throwing 50CFM fans on them with very little difference. Anyhow under load, the CPU's are hitting the low 70's. I wanted to use the BSEL mod but can't until i can control these temps. Any ideas? I'm thinking of buying a pair of Noctua NH-U9DX's as well.

Thanks BioTuned. My only concern with the Noctua's is fitting them in. The orientation of the CPU's has the circulation moving vertically. With one of these heatsinks on CPU 2 with the fan facing the bottom of the case, it's going to be tight i think with my 9800GT. Even if it fits in there, i don't think the heatsinks sit high enough that the fan won't be blocked somewhat by my video card.

Someone else suggested getting a pair of HR-01X's strapping one fan at the front across both heatsinks and the same on the back so the airflow is then front to back. I think i'd have to orient them like this picture http://www.thermalright.com.tw/tw/n...e/cpu/hr01x/installation_cpu_cooler_hr01x.htm (see Step 2 of the fan installation) this would be looking towards the back of the case. If i place a fan here there will be a gap in the middle, i don't think i can turn them 90 degrees so they are side by side.

It's a bit of a dilemma, not sure what to do so any advice would be most welcome.

Back