• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on mobo amd I am confused.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larry2017

Registered
1 year ago I was going to do a build but something came up and all my money was spent on that now I have some money to replace a 10 year old system. 1 year ago these were the specs with no idea what 32" monitor for movies and surfing the web to get but I wanted ips with dicpr3 I think it is I like intense color not washed out look and I would like advice on dicpr too and true 10 bit. can you tell me modern replacements and should I wait for ddr5 boards for the new functions? The specs were a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master with a Ryzen 9 3950X and a or a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super GSkill Trident Z Neo 4x8GB 1 for each channel. Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium SSR-1000TR 1000W 80+ Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt Gaming OC Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler or go water?

Do you have the parts or are you asking what to purchase right now? If you are looking right now, it would be AMD with DDR4 memory. If you are looking at this time next year, it could be a toss up between Intel & AMD but with DDR5 memory. Remember that this will cost more $$ as this will be new tech. You can grab older AMD CPUÂ’s + new mb that will allow you to upgrade to the 5800/5900 series when more are available. I would snag a RT card (whichever is cheaper) for itÂ’s future proof as the big thing now is RT in games.

Okay so the system you listed should be okay (just glancing), however there are newer GPUs and CPUs out, such as the 3060Ti or 3070. That said, parts availability has been an ongoing struggle in 2021 so you'll be fighting an uphill battle just to find parts. On Newegg it looks like a 3060 is selling for $800, so they are available much priced much higher than MSRP.

You want to have 32" monitor, you mention movies and surfing the web, what about gaming? A lot of people will use a 1440p 32" monitor, but if you really want to sit close to the screen 4k is better. What resolution do you plan to use? What other things will you be doing with this PC. The 3950x and 2070 (and their next gen equivalents) are really overkill for web browsing and movies. I think at this point the best place to start is with a budget and description of how the PC will be ueed and we can go from there.

how about the 3900 cpu? no gaming I stopped when they stopped using joysticks. 1024 min res. I guess $2600 using the old case and dvd and 2 14gig I need 1 ssd 1gig.

Well for $2600 you can get pretty far. If you're not gaming though, I'm not sure what you could need 12-16 cores or to spend that much money for. To clarify, is this system only to be used web browsing and watching moves? If so then you'll want a 4k 60Hz 32" monitor. If this is the case then really a 5700G will be super overkill even, and save you from the GPU market. If you later want to play games, it will be easy to drop in a GPU and have good performance. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/?msclkid=8cddb5d25a9d1f8f3bf3d4c923494613. You can throw this in a x570 board like the one you chose last time, get a NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3), 32GB DDR4 (really 16GB is probably plenty) and a decent 500-700W PSU and you'll be set. You'll have plenty of extra budget to get a new case if you want, but you'll need to be ready to ditch optical drives as most new designs don't support them.

well I might edit some movies from time to time but that is it I think. does this chip need water or can it use a
SE-225-XT.

well I might edit some movies from time to time but that is it I think. does this chip need water or can it use a
SE-225-XT.

You won't need water, any decent air-cooler will work. Pretty sure the 5700G comes with the Wraith cooler in the box. While not the best cooling solution it's adequate.

You won't need water, any decent air-cooler will work. Pretty sure the 5700G comes with the Wraith cooler in the box. While not the best cooling solution it's adequate.
How does that cpu compare to this one AMD Ryzen 7 5800X I just saw it on ebay $370

the 5800x will be faster in certain workloads (higher power limit so higher multi core clock, more L3 cache and 100Mhz higher max clock so likely better in some single threaded applications as well) but will require you to purchase a separate graphics card. Honestly for what you're describing you could even go with the 5600G. For more detail you can use this review https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-7-5700g-review-benchmarks/

So far I've just been suggesting AMD since your initial build went that way. You could also consider a 6 core intel CPU with integrated graphics, but I honestly don't know if those chips will do well playing back / streaming 4k, so it would require a little research to find out.

Back