• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Allright, let me post this here and see if I can get a reply.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

Well in the past year or so, since one of the freaking required XP updates my home network of 4 computers has had a heckuva time seeing one another. My computer, the host is set up as 192.168.0.1 subnet mask being 255.255.0 and hosts the dial up internet to the other computers. We even have a hard time seeing each other in games unless we do direct IP search on one another, and I definately cannot host for some weird reason. Also, our computers show each other in the workgroup as being on the internet instead of a regular home based workgroup. What is up? I would really appreciate some help with this problem. Until about a year ago I really didnt have many problems at all maintaining a home based network. Oh, and our workgroup is just the standard mshome that everybody is part of.

23 views and no replies? I also wanted to add that we are using a basic 10/100 Linksys 5 port switch, not a hub or router. A very simple network.

we need to know what each machine is connected to and how,
and the ip configs from the host, and a machine that is having the problem.

do you have firewalls turn on, on either machine?
are all ms updates done? are nic drivers up to date?

thanks
tony

23 views and no replies? I also wanted to add that we are using a basic 10/100 Linksys 5 port switch, not a hub or router. A very simple network.

u posted before i could write the reply!

ok, switch is good.

next is ip configs and firewall info. :)

OK, the other computers are all 192.168.0.# as needed. I do generally use MS Firewall that came with SP2. I have tried turning it off on all computers, but that doesnt seem to help. I tried dl'ing that Analog Proxy X program, but am not sure what to do with that to set it up. I read the Sticky on networking but it seems that I am doing at least 80% of the things that are mentioned already. I just really need help in finding what the other 20% is that I either dont understand or am not doing yet. Thank you very much for any help.

OK, the other computers are all 192.168.0.# as needed. I do generally use MS Firewall that came with SP2. I have tried turning it off on all computers, but that doesnt seem to help. I tried dl'ing that Analog Proxy X program, but am not sure what to do with that to set it up. I read the Sticky on networking but it seems that I am doing at least 80% of the things that are mentioned already. I just really need help in finding what the other 20% is that I either dont understand or am not doing yet. Thank you very much for any help.

can you ping them by name?
can you ping them by IP?

Just to clarify, the mask is 255.255.255.0 ?
And as above; can you ping each other?

Yep, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Remind me how I ping the other computers please and I will give it a try.

Yep, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Remind me how I ping the other computers please and I will give it a try.

find the ip address of another machine by either going to it and using command prompt to show ipconfig
open command prompt
type ipconfig
press enter

then from the other machine, open command prompt on that and type ping followed by ip address. eg
ping 192.168.0.2
press enter

you open up command prompt by going
start > run and type cmd and press enter.
there are other ways, but i find that the quickest.

if the pc's can ping fine, then next thing to look at is if file sharing is allowed through your firewall.

find the ip address of another machine by either going to it and using command prompt to show ipconfig
open command prompt
type ipconfig
press enter

then from the other machine, open command prompt on that and type ping followed by ip address. eg
ping 192.168.0.2
press enter

you open up command prompt by going
start > run and type cmd and press enter.
there are other ways, but i find that the quickest.

if the pc's can ping fine, then next thing to look at is if file sharing is allowed through your firewall.

Well, I don't think he can ping by hostname, which is what I was trying to find out. He stated that when they game he has to put in the IP of the PCs, which leads me to believe it's a DNS issue.

If you have two PCs, one named computer1 and the other named computer2

Start, Run
cmd
hit enter

ping "computer1"

ping "computer2"

Well, I don't think he can ping by hostname, which is what I was trying to find out. He stated that when they game he has to put in the IP of the PCs, which leads me to believe it's a DNS issue.

If you have two PCs, one named computer1 and the other named computer2

Start, Run
cmd
hit enter

ping "computer1"

ping "computer2"

that would make sense.
in a work group what would do dns? would you need a dns server like a regular campus type network? (as in seperate dns machine)?

also, dial up internet?

that would make sense.
in a work group what would do dns? would you need a dns server like a regular campus type network? (as in seperate dns machine)?

also, dial up internet?

I thought that ICS took care of that, but admittedly it's been 10 years or so since I've had to mess with dialup

I thought that ICS took care of that, but admittedly it's been 10 years or so since I've had to mess with dialup

im really not sure.
i used it once for when i only had dial up internet in my home.
and can i just say how crap it was. ics never worked as it should have. sometimes never got an ip. and the only way to fix it, was to repeatedly remove it and re apply everything...

Wow, the things that you just described ppe1700 is pretty much what I have going on. Like I said before, all of these problems pretty much started with one of XP's critical updates last fall. Might be a coincidence, but I really think not. Like I also said before, I show all of the other computers, but when we game it is very spotty, and when you look in my network places, it shows the other computers on the workgroup as being on the internet, like maybe on a business network. I have tried reconfigureing it different times and different ways though the networking wizard, but it just never seems to work out like it should.

Sorry tuk101 but I have come to the conclusion from my own experiences that "that's just windows".
If I'm wrong and someone corrects me then ok,
But the only way I had ever found that resolves the weird ICS not working problem with xp was to remove all the settings for it completely and start again.
Annoying I know- but I never found any other way.

Back