• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU good enough for 7 or 8 series GeForce Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
I am currently running a Dell Inspiron 531's
It has:
AMD Athlon 64X 4000
3GB RAM
160GB HDD
not sure what mobo

I really wanna know if I can run any of the any of the 7 or 8 series GeForce cards on my PSU, If So, which ones???:confused:

The PSU that i have 250W, with 17A on the 12V rail

PLEEEZ HELP ME:(

Well actually, the 9 series would be easier to run with your PSU, because they consume less power. Just because the series goes up, does not mean power consumption does. Usually, it means the opposite, as with heat output. So, a 9 series is more power efficient and puts out less heat. Although, with your 250 watt PSU, I would be hesitant to run any card on that. I would get something like an Antec Earthwatts PSU. Nothing crazy, maybe just something of the 400 watt variety. That way you could get a card such as a 9600 or even a 9800.

Unless you want a non-running system, leave it configured like it is now. There is no way that power supply would run the video card alone...now adding everything else. You are asking for dead hardware.

Unless you want a non-running system, leave it configured like it is now. There is no way that power supply would run the video card alone...now adding everything else. You are asking for dead hardware.

I'm going with "thideras" on this one. I one time did (and it work fine) piggy back a Power supply to a system to run a Graphs card.

Just go to the manufacture of the card's your interested in website and you can find the information listed normally if you just look around a little.

AS a example;

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT Alpha Dog
Non-SLI: 500Watt or greater
SLI: 600Watt or greater
Minimum system power requirement based on PC configured with an Intel Core2 Extreme processor QX6700
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/8series/8800GT Alpha Dog.aspx#4

OR as you requested (didn't say the manufacturer through) Bfg Tech GeForce 8600GT
325W PCI Express-compliant system power supply (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel Core2 Extreme X6800 processor)
http://www.buy.com/prod/bfg-geforce...dual-dvi-hdtv-tv-out/q/loc/101/205729495.html

Truth is 350W is kinda iffy but should work on a 6 serious card. Your 250w, nope. But on the bright side if you keep a sharp eye out on the Cyber deals section you may find one for cheep after rebate.

Last edited:
I just installed my old 7600GT on my wifes Dell E510 and it would shut the system down ocassionaly. the Dell E510 has a 305watt PSU.

more then likly you will be able to run the 7300's and 8400's with no issue on that psu. as they are bottom of the barrel graphics cards above intergrated but still not that good. a new psu is in order first before any upgrades to that pc.... well better yet save your money and upgrade your whole computer.

I am building a new computer currently
XFX 780i mobo
Dual 8800GT's SLI
Q6600
4 GB Corsair RAM
750W PSU

I was just looking forward to upgrading my current computer a lil bit so i could run both my old and new computers on a network.

Thanx guys for the info

Back