• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I be this bad at overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justaconsumer2

Registered
ok here goes:
Q9450
8gb ddr2 titanium ocz ram
1000w corsair psu
4870x2 his
gigabyte ep45-ds4 mb
and I cant get a stable oc at 3.2
could someone please help me with the bios set up and what im going wrong, I have gone through a dozen forums and "how toos" and still cant get the dam thing to keep the setings or even boot.

ok here goes:
Q9450
8gb ddr2 titanium ocz ram
1000w corsair psu
4870x2 his
gigabyte ep45-ds4 mb
and I cant get a stable oc at 3.2
could someone please help me with the bios set up and what im going wrong, I have gone through a dozen forums and "how toos" and still cant get the dam thing to keep the setings or even boot.

Sorry, I can't help because I haven't used that platform yet. But, you came to the right place. Good luck getting it figured out.:)

Are you also overclocking your ram? I would try overclocking the CPU first and just put all the ram settings on auto. Once yout CPU is stable, then you can work on your ram.

thank you

thank you for welcoming me.
I have overclocked the cpu but kept the ram at aout, still no boot.

justaconsumer2:

I realize our settings are going to be different bc you are running ddr2 while I am using ddr3, but just out of curiosity how did you get your 9450 stable at 3.2Ghz?

I'm having a heck of a time getting mine from 3 to 3.2Ghz.

Cpuv 1.275
Cpuvcore 1.2
Pll 1.56
FSBv 1.28
5-5-5-15 2t Auto
gtl ref Auto

The rest is history, I let the bios auto the ram voltage and trc. The fault was mine for trying to adjust the ram voltage myself based on other readings.
I do hope this helps

Been stable for 24+ Hours runs about 8 - 10c higher

Last edited:
Is that P95 stable? or just everyday activity stable?

Those are almost the same settings I tried, and I couldn't get it P95 stable for more than a couple of hours.

kkpudge,
wasnt i helping you in another thread? i thought i got you up to 3.4ghz 24/7 stable.....

nope just 3.2 but i was able to run p95 for the whole cycle so it seems to have worked for me, though I do need to get a better cooler on my chipset it reached almost 91c before the testing was done

Evilsizer:

Yes you were helping me lol. And I thought it was stable. But apparently not. I got her up to 3.2 stable for 2 hours and 40 minutes on large fft and 6 hours stable on small fft, and now I cant get anything stable on large.

I have no idea what to even try next lol. I tried enabling the XMP profile, and setting DRAM frequency to auto, and thats what got me stable for the 3 hours.

I thought I was so close, because I started prime when i went to bed, and when I woke up 1 core was still testing, and it was at like 6 hours (large fft). the first core to fail went after the 2 hrs and 40 minutes. Each one after that was about another hour and a half of stability.

I cant get 2 minutes of stability on large now.
Here is what I'm trying to run for 3.2Ghz @ 400 FSB

C1E Support [Disabled]
CPU TM Function [Enabled]
Vanderpool Technology [disabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
Max CPUID Value Limit: [Disabled]
Intel Speedstep EIST [Disabled]

Ai OVerclocking Tuner : [Manual]
CPU Ration Control : [Auto] My CPU ratio is 8.0
Ratio CMOS Setting : I dont see this setting either.
FSB Strap to North Bridge: [400]
FSB Frequency : 400
PCIE Frequency : [100]
DRAM Frequency : [DDR3-1600Mhz]
Dram TIming COntrol : [manual]

Pri. Information:

CAS# Latency :7
RAS# to CAS #Delay : 7
RAS# Precharge :7
RAS# Active Time :18
RAS# to RAS# Delay :auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time:auto
Write Recovery Time :auto
Read to Precharge Time :auto

Sec. Information:

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (S) : [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (D) : [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (S) : [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (D) : [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (S) : [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (D) : [Auto]

DRAM Static Read Control : [Auto]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: [Auto]

Ai Clock Twister: [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel A: [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel B: [Auto]

**** Please key in voltage numbers directly! ****

CPU Voltage: [1.2750]
CPU PLL Voltage: [1.56]
FSB Termination Voltage [1.28]
DRAM Voltage [1.9]
North Bridge Voltage [1.29]
South Bridge Voltage [1.05]
Clock Over-Charging Voltage [Auto]

CPU Voltage Damper [Auto]
CPU Voltage Reference both GTL ref are .670
North Bridge Voltage Referemce[.67]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled}

Last edited:
nope just 3.2 but i was able to run p95 for the whole cycle so it seems to have worked for me, though I do need to get a better cooler on my chipset it reached almost 91c before the testing was done

well if your running 4x2gig dimms then the NB getting that hot makes sense. since populating all the dimm slots stress the NB more, though P45 should be able to handle it better then P35. the question is what was ram speed at when the cpu was at 3.2ghz and what was the cpu fsb speed? did you run prime95 in small or large or blend?

the fact hat you can get small ffts going longer then large means it is not your CPU that is the problem, tweak the NB/mem settings

justaconsumer:

btw, you might want to be careful getting that 9450 up to 91c during load. Those temps are awfully high. I know I cant get mine stable at 3.2Ghz, but when testing at those speeds I haven't broke the 55c barrier yet.

You might want to consider an aftermarket heatsink, or throttle down that OC until you get one :) wouldn't want that nice chip a goopy melty mess!

EDIT:

Yeah I pretty much have the CPU stable at 3.2Ghz. And I think I've narrowed the problem to memory, bc I cant get my memory to pass memtest86 at 1600Mhz.

I'm just not sure what to tweak next :bang head

kk,
can you post a link to the ram your running? i dont recall seeing it last time maybe you did and i just forgot.

well I just ordered the xig 1283 cpu cooler from new egg for 21.99 (after rebate) and ocz ram cooling system so that should really help out the mess im hoping to run prime blend again but wil my temps keeping below 70C.

core speed at idle 2400.2 x6 multiplier load 3200.8 x8
bus speed 400
fsb 1600.1
voltage low 1.232 high 1.248

well I just ordered the xig 1283 cpu cooler from new egg for 21.99 (after rebate) and ocz ram cooling system so that should really help out the mess im hoping to run prime blend again but wil my temps keeping below 70C.

core speed at idle 2400.2 x6 multiplier load 3200.8 x8
bus speed 400
fsb 1600.1
voltage low 1.232 high 1.248

what made you choose that heatsink? good reviews from some place other then newegg?

i would have suggested another heatsink for the quad core. while what you choose will be a impovement over stock. i dought its going to be good compared to others in that price range.

Back