• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless makes me crazy - PLEASE HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatman

ok so ive had a laptop for about a year now and runs off my routers wireless signal. all fine never a problem connecting ever.

my friend bought a laptop and brought it over to connect to my wireless. it wont work. says limited connection and wont go through the third step of connecting.. no clue. so i go into the laptop website function and change the WEP password and now his laptop connects, but mine doesnt now. WTF? and on top of that, when i click the two computer things on the bottom right to show connection, it shows that it is connected 2 times to my network!! one is the official name of the connection, and the second connection is called unidentified connection, both of them local only!!! please someone help me!!! both are 64 bit vista. however like i said, my laptop always worked until now

restart the computer and see if it will find wireless networks....try that first and see what happens

i did. it connected to the two networks again *they are the same network, for some reason it is connecting to it 2 times.

ok so it sees the 2 networks can it connect to either one can you get an IP.....unplug your router from the wall...wait for about 30 secs...that will reset it without doing a hard reset....is your friend still there? If now hard rest your router...then reconfigure it and try to see if the two of you can get on...there is no reason that his computer shouldn't let you get on ....

ok so it sees the 2 networks can it connect to either one can you get an IP.....unplug your router from the wall...wait for about 30 secs...that will reset it without doing a hard reset....is your friend still there? If now hard rest your router...then reconfigure it and try to see if the two of you can get on...there is no reason that his computer shouldn't let you get on ....

i did un plug the router and modem for a few minutes. it still saw my 1 network as 2 networks and refuses to connect from the gateway to the internet. and now his laptop is doing the same exact thing lol. wtf is going on here?

i did un plug the router and modem for a few minutes. it still saw my 1 network as 2 networks and refuses to connect from the gateway to the internet. and now his laptop is doing the same exact thing lol. wtf is going on here?

go head and do a hard reset...take a paper clip and find the reset button on the back....thats pretty strange...

i agree its the weirdest thing ive ever seen. ill do a hard reset tomorrow and tell you how it goes. off to bed for me. thanks for the help.

when you changed the password, you did go into the configuration of your laptop and delete the old key and type the new one you created right?

when you changed the password, you did go into the configuration of your laptop and delete the old key and type the new one you created right?

you shouldnt have too, it should negotiate if you have the wrong key or not, however, this is where i would start also :p .

OP are you using the software that comes with vista or the wireless card?

ok here is the exact problem im having

90493864pc9.jpg

It seems to me by this picture that my wireless is trying to connect to my network 2 times at once and is failing to.

Last edited:
Maybe you'd get more responses if you'd actually used your brain when you came up with the thread title.

Maybe you'd get more responses if you'd actually used your brain when you came up with the thread title.

maybe if you actually helped instead of making asinine posts like this, i would actually care with what you had to say.

but guess what? the problem is fixed because of Redrumy3 and his amazing skills.

Last edited:
Earlier comments may have been in bad taste - keep in mind the intent was to help everyone, if perhaps the delivery wasn't soft and warm. Let's move past that for now - I recommend PM'ing to straighten things out or settle any differences.

So what was at fault and what was the fix exactly? Its good form to post the result for all to share, as many people use search functions to reference solutions and your answer could help others.

The only way I've seen that result of being connected to 2 networks at once is by doing network bridging or having 2 physical wireless cards active at once. Were either of those relevant to your problem?

That said, the common symptom of a wireless connection that is not complete is to associate to the AP but get limited or no connectivity - typically this means that you are connected to the Access Point locally, but its not assigning the machine an IP because your authentication is incorrect. Most commonly, that means you entered the WEP key incorrectly. When you were able to connect with your friends PC, but not with your own PC - its likely because you changed the WEP key on the router from your friends PC, then entered that new WEP key on your friends PC but your own PC was still using the previous WEP key that was set on your router.

If you have further questions so that you understand this better, go ahead and post them. Windows wireless really isn't bad to work with at all if you have a good understanding of a few basic things, everything becomes pretty clear and easy.

All i made him do was uninstall his wireless from device manager and reinstall with updated drivers manually, seem to fix his problem he was having, don't know why he was getting limited connection / no connection tried everything to fix it and finally uninstalling and updating the driver fixed it :)

Back