• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Settings help with my newbie build please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FtrV8

Registered
Hello everyone,

Been a lurker for about a month and this is my first post. I decided to build my first computer and got parts prior to scouring this forum (so don't make fun of my rig). Most of the parts I got at a deep discount or if they were on a rebate sale etc.

Chipset: AMD Phenom 9550
CPU cooler: Zalmans CNPS 8700 NT
Mobo: Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H
RAM: OCZ Platnium 4 Gig (2 x 2GB) 1066 sticks
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 3870
All housed in a Raidmax Smilodon case (that came with a 500w PSU)

A few questions if I may ask, since there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum!

As I am awaiting in the mail for Vista 64 bit, I am having settings questions qoing through my head. Will my RAM settings work? Am I gonna have to make voltage adjustments anywhere? Are there "safe" settings that will work with my setup? I've never had to go into BIOS or CMOS settings of any computer in my life and make changes, but doesn't mean I haven't seen them or don't know how to enter them.

Comments on the setup, suggestions etc, anything to calm the nerves would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Ah now that's good to hear! Once it's running then I'll playing around with it.

Another question: How do I setup the graphics card? Do I run it in conjunction with the onboard GPU? Or should I run the Sapphire by itself?

Thanks for the input!

you can't run hybrid crossfire with that setup, and even if you could, it wouldn't help much anyway.

The only thing i suggest you to get, is another psu. I don't trust no-name psus.

Vista should have some default drivers for your video card so you will be ok setting up the card. Once Vista is installed, install your motherboard drivers, your video card drivers, update Vista and you should be ready to go. Froget you have onboard graphics. (unless you run into an unusual problem with the video card)

I agree with White_Pawn, get rid of the no name PSU and get a quallity one. Never ever skimp on the PSU! I learned that the hard way.

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess I overlooked the PSU because the case came with one. I'll get another. Wattage suggestion?

Back