• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy freakin wolfdale...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Just got an E8400 on a P45 (up from an E6550 on a P35)

HO-LEE-CRAPP.

Running Prime 95 (Large FFT's) its STILL faster just jumping around windows than my other CPU/MOBO. At 100% load at 3Ghz it maxes out @46 degrees. Not too shabby.

I wonder why the Baby Wolfdales, like my E5200 run so hot then?

Maybe because you are using the correct TJmax?

ocnoob, check that you are using tjmax 100 or latest coretemp/realtemp or latest whatever software you use.

Maybe because you are using the correct TJmax?

ocnoob, check that you are using tjmax 100 or latest coretemp/realtemp or latest whatever software you use.

Watch who Your calling an ocnoob!, considering that I recently posted articles everywhere explaining how to Bsel and Vpin e5200 processors.
It is a well known fact that the e5200's and e7x00's run quite a bit hotter than their full blown e8x00 counterparts.
Do a search on e5200 Tjmax and You won't get a proper answer anywhere, as Intel apparently hasn't published it for whatever reason.
Realtemp, everest, and speedfan all give different readings, so using realtemp, and setting tjmax to 100 still makes for over 70 degrees c under load with realtemp95.
Also I'm running a Zalman 7000cu on the processor, which has to be better than the stock skinny Intel one. I do agree though that their by now are obviously much better coolers available.

Nice post, maybe you care to read the thread once more. This time pay attention to OPs nickname.

On the topic of E5200 vs E8000, i had both in the same rig under same cooling, the E5200 didnt heat up the rad that much, even at 1.6v. Like 6x smaller cache -> fewer transistors -> less heat. I think that using a tjmax other than 100 for E5200 would be fooling myself/self-shafting/<insert other painful activities here>

Edit: Well done to me on the 6x, lets give some discount and say 3x
Edit again: another well done to me for using quote instead of edit.

Last edited:
I'd say the reason the lower dual cores run hotter is becaue they probably use thermal paste to interface the die with the heatspreader rather than solder, same as the e6000 vs e4000 and e2000.

OT - I've been watching the old Battlestar Gallactica series on Hulu.com, good stuff! imperiousleader made me think of that :p

Last edited:
I'd say the reason the lower dual cores run hotter is becaue they probably use thermal paste to interface the die with the heatspreader ratehr than solder, same as the e6000 vs e4000 and e2000.

OT - I've been watching the old Battlestar Gallactica series on Hulu.com, good stuff! imperiousleader made me think of that :p

That makes sense, about the solder vs paste, in that case nothing other than watercooling or better is going to achieve much.

Yep, old BG was a classic, very 70's camp, but You have to admit the Girls were much better looking than the new series.

Oh i love the old BG, better than startrek TOS.

Second the paste, hotter on the inside, cooler on the outside.

Please accept my apology, It's late here, and Your right, I should have read the whole thread properly.:(

I've had the same problem with his name, I've seen some people going "ocnoob" and I'm just thinking "Why is this guy calling him a noob??" then I realize it's his username! :p

About TJMax, it's only a 5 degree difference between the standard and corrected values, and hey, didn't the correct values LOWER temps actually? :D

didn't the correct values LOWER temps actually? :D
When i got my first wolfdale in January cpucoretemp (Linux) reported way too low temps, it would use tjmax 85. Cant remember what Windows reported at the time, maybe youre right but iirc old versions of Coretemp for Windows also liked to use Conroe tjmax values for wolfdales and those were too low.

47c with large FFTs, then maybe just above 50 with small, unless thats under a very good cooler it could very well be too good to be true.

Back