• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expected Max CPU Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I have an Intel Skylake 4.0 GHz i7-6700K. The cooler is a Corsair H60 package water cooler. The CPU at 100% runs at 4.2 Ghz.

Using Prime 95 and the latest version of Core Temp, at 100% and 86 watts, the highest CPU core runs at a mostly constant 172 degrees. When applying load the temperature almost instantly rises from 75 degrees (about room ambient) to 182 degrees and again almost instantly drops back to very close to ambient when the load is removed.

First, is 172 degrees at almost full load reasonable or is this higher than expected with a reasonably good cooler?

Second, I am trying to get an indication if the heat sink compound (Arctic Silver 5) is properly applied. The large sudden increase in temperature to a stable value when the load is applied tells me there is a high thermal resistance point between the point source of heat and the water cooler block as the water cooler block only rises a few degrees with a relatively small DT across the hoses. So, can I draw any conclusion about the thermal connection between the block and the CPU with these observations?

The temp standard is centigrade. Use it.
That being said, 172f = 78c, which is about average for your clocks.

Mr. Scott, you must be in the same generation I am. I have discovered that the term "Centigrade" we learned and used in grade school has been replaced with "Celcius".

Back