• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a fan upgrade for my AIO improve my temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so right now i have a cooler master master liquid 240 cpu cooler heres the info link

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/

it currently has 3 120mm case fans , that produce 3.33 mmH2O of air pressure per fan. would upgrading to 3 120mm case fans that produce 4.6 mmH2O ± 10% air pressure per fan give me any noticeable temperature improvements?

right now im cooling a xeon w3690 overclocked to 4GHz idle temps are 35 degrees Celsius at full 100% load when stress testing in prime 95 temps were maxed out at 68c

i can buy each fan for around 10$ so price isnt an issue im just wondering if the fan upgrades would improve my temps even by a few degrees

IMO, not worth it. A couple degrees won't be world breaking. Better off to take a 100MHz hit on your overclock and try to lower voltage. You won't even notice a difference in anything but a few benchmarks.

Recently I was checking top Noctua fans on AIO and the difference between more standard fans was up to 3-4°C. This difference, even though significant for only fan change, won't really make any difference in the mentioned Xeon build.

ok so right now i have a cooler master master liquid 240 cpu cooler heres the info link

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/

it currently has 3 120mm case fans , that produce 3.33 mmH2O of air pressure per fan. would upgrading to 3 120mm case fans that produce 4.6 mmH2O ± 10% air pressure per fan give me any noticeable temperature improvements?

right now im cooling a xeon w3690 overclocked to 4GHz idle temps are 35 degrees Celsius at full 100% load when stress testing in prime 95 temps were maxed out at 68c

i can buy each fan for around 10$ so price isnt an issue im just wondering if the fan upgrades would improve my temps even by a few degrees

That's kinda like the Coolermaster 212 EVO and adding higher powered fans literally did nothing, you have to realize that they've thoroughly tested the output of the cooler and have put the best airflow solution on it out the door, as they are in competition with other AIO brands. But they also are boxing themselves in with attempting to stay within an acceptable noise window so there's that, as Mr.Scott said a few degrees, and to even get that you'll have to go to an extreme noise level.

I did run an experiment one time using high speed, high static pressure server fans, but couldn't stay in the room with them while they were running, but they did drop the temperature by about 5c, but there's a good reason server fans are usually isolated in their own cooling closet or room.

If you think you have the right idea, go for it and post what happens.

Based on your temps I would say the only reason to change out your fans is for less noise but I'm sure you're not getting much noise at all anyway so you're probably good!

Back