• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i missing something here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have a xeon w3690 i know old cpu and i had a 240mm aio cooling my cpu heres the link ot the 240aio https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-240/

last year for xmas of 2018 i upgraded to a 360mm AIO in this link https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360r-rgb/

i use arctic MX-4 thermal paste for both coolers heres where im missing something. i upgraded to the 360mm aio thinking temps would be better and for some odd reason it doesnt look like my temps changed at all temps at full load look the same to me in case it matters im using htese fans for my 360aio 3 of these fans https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-furious-vardar-evo-120-bb-1200-3000rpm

please educate me and tell me what im missing here

What temp is the cpu running at?

I will say that xeon processors are made to run at low power and produce little heat. The one in my work computer has an 80mm fan on it which must be working as I run CAD simulations.

It may be that you were already cooling the cpu enough with the original cooler.

The other thing is that the radiator area isn’t the only thing governing the cooling capability. You can only dissipate so much heat through the water block and that water block area will be the same with the new cooler.

Then there is the fact that the radiators are there to dissipate the collected heat in the water out into the air. Your air will be the same temperature regardless of what surface area you have. If you were only generating X amount of heat and the radiator could cope with X in the first place, increasing the radiator size does not mean cooler temps. If the heat you were generating was higher than X and the rad could only cope with X then an upgrade is worth it.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. Really tired.

What temp is the cpu running at?

I will say that xeon processors are made to run at low power and produce little heat. The one in my work computer has an 80mm fan on it which must be working as I run CAD simulations.

It may be that you were already cooling the cpu enough with the original cooler.

The other thing is that the radiator area isn’t the only thing governing the cooling capability. You can only dissipate so much heat through the water block and that water block area will be the same with the new cooler.

Then there is the fact that the radiators are there to dissipate the collected heat in the water out into the air. Your air will be the same temperature regardless of what surface area you have. If you were only generating X amount of heat and the radiator could cope with X in the first place, increasing the radiator size does not mean cooler temps. If the heat you were generating was higher than X and the rad could only cope with X then an upgrade is worth it.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. Really tired.

temps while gaming are around 60-70c in aida64 stress test they hit 88c if the ac is turned off but i doubt ill ever get that high in real life usage

edit my cpu is a 135 watt tpd deff not low power lol and not at 4.5 ghz at 1.4 volts

Last edited:
That's about normal.
That's in the ball park with my 6800K at 4.5 with A 3x120 rad, we have reached the limits of our water blocks.

I am almost able to get away with single 120mm AIO. It runs my 6core xeon(1366) at 4.2 with 1.3vcore and able to maintain safe temps under prime many hours. Twin fan aio would probably be better, but triple is perhaps a little overkill.

What you can try is raise that vcore and push her further up the hill, perhaps that extra potential cooling capacity of triple aio can help you reach higher clocks that twin aio would not have been able to, if you were to try. :D I vote 1.6vcore! (kidding)

I'm going to guess the testing before and after wasn't the same... ambient temps, length of testing...mounting differences, etc. Buy yeah 4.5 ghz in that cpu and 1.4v. Seems about right.

4.5 @ 1.4v is actually pretty good.
99% of my 1366 CPU's need more than 1.4v for 4.5

FWIW, your AIO's ain't helping you as much as you think.
I'm doing your clocks on more voltage with the same temps on air.

That's why I bailed on AIO's.. And I don't miss it at all.. :thup:

But man are they ever being pushed hard these days.

Makes me wonder sometimes if that quietness of water cooling is overrated, given the pump makes just as much noise..:shrug:
Mr.Scott, Mr.Agent, what coolers are you running, men?

Makes me wonder sometimes if that quietness of water cooling is overrated, given the pump makes just as much noise..:shrug:

There is a smoother heat curve which can be advantageous sometimes. Water cooling handle heat spikes much better than air. However in most cases yeh there isn’t much difference.

I am using a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power with a TY-143 on my 3770k and a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT on my x5690. I will be adding a TY-143 to that as well.

LGMRT is as good or better as a D15, and TS140P is better than LGMRT, and about 35 U.S. cheaper.

Thermalright True 120 with a Scythe fan.

Back