• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my cpu broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok a little back story a few weeks ago i upgraded my AM4 motherboard. and while taking the cooler off the cpu the cooler pulled the cpu out of the socket. upon inspection of the cpu i noticed a few bent pins, i gently bent those pins back and the cpu slid nice clean and easy into the socket on my new board altho i had some random boot issues that have since sorted themsleves out. cpu is a ryzen 7 2700. fast forward to a few days ago, i tried to overclock the cpu i followed a few guide but lets face it i have been overclocking cpu's since the old intel pentium 4 days so im not a noob. anyhow last night i ran the prime95 bland test went to bed and woke up to find that my system had shutdown for no reason average temp reported by ryzen master was around 73c on my 360mm aio. is it possible that the bent pins are the cause of my shutdowns? what other ways can i check to see if my system is stable at stock bios settings?

could the fact that the pins were bent even tho i bent them back be the cause of my issues? i should not that before the random shutdowns under stress testing i have other boot issues before they were sorted out

heres my system

asus CH7 X470 mobo

team group vulcan ddr4 16gb 2x8gb 3000 mhz ram

sapphire pulse rx 5700

seasonic focus gold 750 watt semi modular psu

512 adata ssd 5 4tb hdd seagate

wired internet

enthoo primo case

360mm cooler master aio

bios version: 2901

if it matters both the bios and hwinfo64 say my pump is operating at 4,500 rpm so i dont think my cpu is overheating nor do i think its a thermal throttle

i bought a cheap 1600AF cpu to test in my system to see if i still have the shutdown issue but it wont be here till next week?

just trying to figure out why my system isnt stable and why it shuts down when i stress test it if temps are fine

I've bent pins before just like you and unless you have broken a pin off or missed straightening a pin you should be fine. If you are unsure pull off your CPU cooler and check your pins on your CPU that all pins are straight and none bent under, flattened and / or loose. Though I would look more to the new motherboard for issues.

It's not the pins, your overclock just needs more voltage would be my guess. P95 cycles through different tests and some are much harder than others
The "other" issues with posting could be related to your RAM, not all RAM plays well with that platform

Tell us more about your overclock frequency and voltage variables. What have you changed in bios and how much?

Tell us more about your overclock frequency and voltage variables. What have you changed in bios and how much?

trents i set cpu ratio to 40.00 i set cpu load line and vddsoc load line both to level 5 sock voltage is at 1.1 and ram is set to docp and i set ram voltage to 1.45 thats all i did aside from turning off PBO & AMMD COOL n QUIET everything else in bios was left stock

Why did you set your RAM voltage so high? You aren't overclocking the RAM are you?

Because of the question mark about the damaged pins, I would put everything back to stock and do some stress testing if I were you before you try to overclock.

Why did you set your RAM voltage so high? You aren't overclocking the RAM are you?

Because of the question mark about the damaged pins, I would put everything back to stock and do some stress testing if I were you before you try to overclock.

trents can you clarify why i should stress test at stock? also the reason why ram is so high i set ram in bios to docp but a friend of mine on a tech forum recommended i set the ram voltage to 1.45 to see if that fixed my issues

By stress testing at stock you eliminate any issues that might arise from an OC.

By "Stock" I mean default bios settings for CPU. RAM at 2400 mhz and 1.35 volts which is the baseline DDR4 frequency for the Ryzen platform I believe and and stock voltage for the RAM.

thats a little high for 3000 ram, my ram is at 3600 and i only run it at 1.40

also 73C on a 360 seems a little high to me but maybe thats on me, ony ran 2600/3600x on my 360

We really don't know what temperatures the OP is seeing, that platform still has a temp offset
As has been mentioned reset your BIOS so the CPU is at stock and the RAM is at JEDEC base speed, likely 2133 for that kit (baseline for x470/Zen+ is 2933). Then run your stress test and use HWinfo64 to capture the temps and voltages. Take a screenshot after 30 minutes of testing and post that up here along with CPUz, main, SPD and memory tabs. This will give us a good idea of where things sit before we try to OC.
As I mentioned before that RAM is not going to behave with your system much over 2933. I tried some of that cheap team group on x370 and it was a waste of time trying to get it stable at higher speeds.

Back