• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC doesn't wanna boot (shuts down after few seconds)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sporty8

Hi,

I just finished "building" my new PC, but there's a problem: it shuts down after a few seconds.

1 time I managed to see something about CPU temperature, but couldn't catch anything else (it obv. shut down), so I suspect that could be it. Sadly I can't get to BIOS fast enough to check the temperature.

I took the cooler off (standard Intel LGA1366 Core i7 cooler that comes with it; will use it for now until good real LGA1366 coolers come out) and noticed one interesting thing: the preapplied thermal paste was looking untouched. If it was properly mounted, shouldn't the paste scatter (disperse; can't find correct english word ;)) all over the CPU and/or heatsink?
(could the heatsink be too high and not be touching the CPU? and yeah, I definitely pressed it fully in)

Thanks,
Sporty

Edit:
conroebuild_1.jpg
After I took it off it looked exactly like this (having the same 3 "stripes" of thermal-paste; different heatsink obv.). Shouldn't those stripes be gone (= being one whole) if there was any real pressure between CPU & heatsink?

Last edited:
If the paste was not stuck to the heatsink and processor, then it wasn't properly mounted and could cause an issue similar to what you have. I believe the word you were looking for is "spread".

:welcome: to the forums.

The retail processor comes with a little manual you can follow to ensure it has been attached properly. And yes, the paste should be spread over the surface when you apply pressure.

:welcome:

Back