• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition reviewed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The price is looking to be $80 - $90. I'm wondering how this proc will perform. It's only running at 2.6Ghz as far as I have heard which is 400 - 500mhz under AMD's top x2's right now depending on which x2 you think is the best. It has more L2 than anything but the 6000+ Windsor, but even then like I said 400mhz back. I mean yeah lower nm, but thats quiet a bit to make up for. I wonder how this chips gonna OC, better do really well to be at the price I'm hearing because those 6000+'s will be cheaper with high clocks and one has the same L2 as this.

Last edited:
Was this CPU not suppose to be the one we were waiting on for a long time? There was huge discussion of the last X2s that were suppose to come out even before Shanghai. Their code name started with a K I believe.

Was this CPU not suppose to be the one we were waiting on for a long time? There was huge discussion of the last X2s that were suppose to come out even before Shanghai. Their code name started with a K I believe.
Yes but I thought Kuma was dead. Is this the famous STARS core AMD has been talking about ? Remember this is to complement Agena, Deneb shall have Regor (IIRC)
If its priced right ~$100 this would be the thing to get, I think it matches E7200

its hard to read but i think i see a 3400Mhz with 1.47v
pretty un impressive, i have that now with 1 meg per core L2 but no L3

is it really 65nm? i thought it was suppoed to be 45nm

That is what I thought as well. But I think we are confusing ourselves with the later versions. In late Q2 Early Q3, we are suppose to see 45nm X2s.

Finally Kuma arrives, for Christmas instead of spring. Would have bought one then, but now no thanks. I bet it would have better sales against C2D than K8 had this year, a pity they dropped this.

Actually according to the original article at donanimhaber it does 3.1G at stock V and highest stable oc was 3.3G.

Highest was only 3.3? Thought they would have fixed the OC bug for Kuma. Or was it just a "lets see how far WE can push it?" sort of thing.

Highest was only 3.3? Thought they would have fixed the OC bug for Kuma. Or was it just a "lets see how far WE can push it?" sort of thing.
Don't forget these are probably rejected quads. I wouldn't expect much out of them, but they will look good on an OEM sticker ... ;)

I bet it would have better sales against C2D than K8 had this year, a pity they dropped this.
Agreed. AMDs followed some very poor execution failures in the past 12 months that have made them lose potential profits.

Don't forget these are probably rejected quads. I wouldn't expect much out of them, but they will look good on an OEM sticker ... ;)
I am actually expecting more than the typical K10 but lower than the 9950 125W ;)

The more cores you have, the more the asynchronous clock domains and momentary mismatches holding you back and making for a much higher probability to render it unstable. Just slight jitter is enough for this (most likely what ACC resolved). This way AMD can bin a poor clocking 4 Core and disable the low clocking 4th Core to sell off as a higher clocking 3 Core CPU. I would only expect decent clocks from the BE ones though.

Id have to agree, With what they are trying to do and their limited resources, they are going to start producing only 1-2 models of CPU at a time for the foreseeable future. Thusly why you won't see them making any more dual core CPUs. It's more cost effective to just make Quad Phenoms and cut the defective cores to keep from just completely binning them. Why melt down perfectly good silicon if you still have one functioning core that you can sell under the Sempron label?

The delays in bringing out this dual core Phenom where most likely due to not enough Phenoms with 2 failed cores to really launch a new line and not cause yet more ill will by not being able to keep up with demand.

Windsors are discontinued, and now the Brisbane will be to, and with the looks of the Deneb launch charts they are expecting to base all CPUs on defective Denebs that are perfectly fine otherwise.

It makes perfect sense economically for them, even Intel will be doing this with the i7, just give it time for the 965's with a dud core or 3 to pile up in significant numbers to make them a viable product line.

Don't whince, the GPU and ram companies have been doing it forever as well, they only make their most capable parts and cut off the dead parts to make the lower specd parts. Can an HD4870 do anything that an HD4650 can't, albeit slower?

I don't see how it makes the CPU any less able to do what its doing. Clocks can be expected to be in the same range as the X3 and X4s as they are the same core after all.

I wouldn't be suprised if a few of the X2 7750 turned out to do record 65nm Phenom overclocks seeing as there is less a chance of getting dud cores, as well as power and heat.

Here's a review from Xbit as well.

I don't see why people were waiting for these... it is just a Toliman or Agena with cores disabled.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to buy something that has known defective silicon on the chip.

bit-tech

Hmm so we are 5 days away from the supposed launch of PII. Reviews incoming? :eh?:

Back