• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Priority

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

afnbtmnlvovze

Disabled
I have read that devices on PCI bus may be assigned different priorities on different motherboards. Is what I read true.

If so, how is priority allocated?

I think back in the old days, they were more dependend on IRQ's but nowadays everything is "plug and play" so there is no need to set the IRQ's and DMA addresses etc. If a device had a lower IRQ, i guess you could say it had a higher priority, but it wasnt too critical, as long as they didnt conflict. Nowadays you have IRQ sharing, etc so it doesnt matter.

Plug and play took all my fun away

I think back in the old days, they were more dependend on IRQ's but nowadays everything is "plug and play" so there is no need to set the IRQ's and DMA addresses etc. If a device had a lower IRQ, i guess you could say it had a higher priority, but it wasnt too critical, as long as they didnt conflict. Nowadays you have IRQ sharing, etc so it doesnt matter.
I still sometimes work with some oldr computers.

If IRQs are shared and all available PCI banwith is to be used, would the IRQ-sharing devices function worse than if they each had their own IRQs and enough IRQs existed to allow allow PCI devices a single IRQ?

Back