• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI and USB Keyboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gmofftarki

Registered
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times? Well... I guess I'm bent over, lubed, and waiting for it by now.

So, about 4 years ago, I bought my first MSI motherboard. Decent model, needed a replacement for my (I thought at the time) broken Gigabyte. 865PE, I think. Turns out that no replacement was needed and I just needed to get a better power supply, and that's why the thing wasn't POST-ing. Ah well, c'est la vie.

So, I used that, but it had an irritating problem, whether USB legacy support was enabled or not, when I started up the computer I needed to unplug, then replug my USB mouse and keyboard to get them to work at the windows startup screen.

So, eventually that motherboard explodes after I install another two 512 sticks to get to a total of 2GB of RAM, and I decide to replace it. Get another MSI motherboard, this time an AMD 690G model (Because 690 > 590 it must be better, right!) and it still has the problem with USB keyboards and I still need to unplug/replug the mouse on startup. Not to mention, it doesn't allow you to adjust the HTT multiplier, so, since I wanted to overclock, I replaced it with a BIOSTAR tForce 590, which had its own problems like a total lack of support or BIOS updates, and it eventually exploded on me as well (by exploded, I mean figuratively, no gnomes or magical smoke being released, just a failure to work) killing my CPU in the process. That worked fine with USB, so I thought maybe it was the nVidia chipset rather than the AMD or Intel chipsets USB controllers.

Alright, let's go Intel this time. So, I try to buy a Gigabyte P45-UD3R through Newegg. Nope, they've decided in their infinite wisdom to disallow instant bank transfers now, so I was forced to go through Amazon. OK, the only decently-rated motherboard for a semi-Decent price that I could get delivered overnight from Amazon was the MSI P7N SLI Platinum. So, I figure third time's a charm and order it.

Same problem, only I no longer have my PS/2 keyboard and my USB-PS/2 dongle isn't working. I can't even get into the BIOS for the sake of setting up the appropriate boot order, or confirming that it's recognizing all my drives.

Keyboard's getting power, lights up, and when I hit Delete, caps lock on the keyboard pops up, but nothing more. I've tried two different keyboards, the Logitech G15 that I'm typing on now and my old Saitek Eclipse. Neither works.

I guess I have to go to Wurst Bai to pick up a PS/2 Keyboard tomorrow (if they even still sell such things) but seriously, go to MSI's forums and see how many people complain about this same issue with the regulars just saying "Working As Intended". It's utter BS. MSI's obviously doing something wrong and/or stupid (10 posts might be PEBKAC. 121 pages off people posting the same or similar problems, with me experiencing USB issues with MSI across 5 years and 3 different types of chipset (Intel, AMD, nVidia)? Not so much...

So... anyone have a solution to this problem other than just (like I did when I had my first MSI keyboard) keeping a PS/2 keyboard around and plugged in so that I could use it if I ever wanted to enter the BIOS or Safe Mode?

Thanks for the help.

Back