• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Software w/XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
most anything that is compatible for an earlier version of an operating system will be compatible with the newest version. i can still run programs built for windows 95 if i wanted to and i'm running 2k.

jeff

I'm just guessing here, but since XP is the same kernel as 2000 (just a bunch of extra junk added) I would think that 2000 would be the way to go.

I just started with XP on a laptop myself.

I'd like to think so but there are games that work under 2K that don't work under XP. As for best setting, it depends on how old it is. For instance, warcraft2 I'll put win95. Starcraft I'll put 98. If that doesn't work try installing in compatibility mode too. Run setup in compatibility mode for: XX If it doesn't work then, you're stuck till MS comes out w/ a compatibility patch.

'Preciate the info.

Installed my vid card monitor under 2k, it didn't like the Win 9x's. The first bundled game loaded fine under 98. I'm going to slowly experiment with other installations.

Thanks again.

Back