• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PwNZoRNooB

1. Do I need 2 crossfire bridges (the orange thingys that connect the cards)?
My friend says he uses 2 bridges with a hybrid CF 4870 + 4850, but when I look some pictures of 4870 CF I see only one bridge?
If the second one is optional is it better to use it or not? (I have 2 CF bridges)

2. Can I plug monitors to both cards? And does CF have to be on or off?
(I have 2 normal LCD monitors and a Philips TV)

3. Does CF work between a original and overclocked model normally? (4870 512MB & Gainward 4870 512MB GS)

1. Only use one bridge. Using 2 has proven to cause micro-stutters.

2. Plug the monitors into the Primary card. The outputs of the secondary don't work, at least mine don't with Crossfire enabled.

3. They will work but things will be limited to the slowest card.

2. Plug the monitors into the Primary card. The outputs of the secondary don't work, at least mine don't with Crossfire enabled.

3. They will work but things will be limited to the slowest card.

2. What about with CF disabled?

Crossfire FAQ

Question 6.
6. Can I use the CrossFire platform to drive multiple displays?
A. Yes, the CrossFire platform will work with ATI SurroundView™ multi-monitor technology to enable up to 5 separate displays when not running in CrossFire mode.

Found that few mins ago :confused:

Could you try that?

I only have one display so I cannot do any tests. With Crossfire disabled I would imagine you would be able to use up to 4 displays as you have that many connectors.

i hope you're not joking there. i use both bridges because i assumed both bridges would provide more bandwidth between both cards than one. i'll try one tonight, see if far cry 2 stutters

i hope you're not joking there. i use both bridges because i assumed both bridges would provide more bandwidth between both cards than one. i'll try one tonight, see if far cry 2 stutters

Tell me what results you get. I'll tell my friend too if he would test.

Back