• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some build questions - EKWB HB Bridge, GPU positions, M2 position

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi, my CPU died on a 2.5 year old build, so I bought a new Mobo and CPU Hero Maximus Xi Wifi and an I9 9600 KF. I haven't kept up with new tech since my last build.

Stupidly, I did not consider the slot configurations for the PCI E cards and thus my cooling terminal connector between the two GPUs is too big.

So I'm going to order a 3 slot from EKWB (unless you guys tell me not to as below).

So some questions:

1) Should I use the first and second x16 PCI Slots? (as opposed to 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 3rd). Does it matter?

2) The MOBO manual says the SLI bridge included is an HB Bridge. Previously I had to buy a third party (EVGA for me) HB bridge. The one I have now is too long. Is the included one ok/equivalent (that would be cool)

3) There are two M2 slots (which I had to remove a cover for, which looks cool but had me way confused for a while). Does it matter which one I use? I seem to remember that M2 could interfere with USB or something but I assume that's been sorted for now).

I know some of these questions are pretty basic but I have lost a lot of build knowledge since I last made on.

1 use the 16x slots than run 8x/8x, the first two from top to bottom. The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6. The PCIe x16_3 runs x2 mode by default.
2 the included one its ok.
3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA6G_2 port will be disabled, so use the other socket or make sure you have an m.2 running on nvme protocol or if the sata ports dont matter theres no problem.

Back