• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so right now i have an RX 470 platinum edition from sapphire tech here

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-rx-470-platinum-edition.b3735

i want to buy a second card for crossfire do i need to buy an identical graphics card or no? will be buying from newegg since i got a gift card there

also what should i look for when buying the new card

i guess what im asking is does the new GPU have to have the same memory and core clock speeds as the primary GPU both cards will have 4gb

looks like the newegg mining card i wanna buy is a mining gpu with a single dvi port

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cqXSP5VOKUdj1n8CyqdifxkjVFNoresDA5agJCN-SXEKg

will the newegg card work in crossfire with my platinum edition?

Last edited:
specs say crossfire x support,

Specifications

SpecificationsMfr Part Number: 11256-28-21GChipset: AMD Radeon RX 470Boost Clock: Up to 1206 MHzVideo Memory: 4GB GDDR5Memory Clock: Up to 1750 MHz, Effective 7000 MbpsBus: PCI-Express 3.0 x16Stream Processors: Up to 2048 unitRAMDAC: 400 MHzConnectors:Input: 1x 8-pin PCI-E Power ConnectorThermal: Fansink (Dual Fans)Dimensions (WxLxH): 126.0 x 230.0 x 41.0 mmThis Video Card Supports:Windows 10/ 7 64-bitAMD 4th GCN ArchitectureAMD Free-Sync TechnologyAMD Eyefinity TechnologyAMD CrossFireX TechnologyAMD TrueAudio Next TechnologyAMD Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)Powered by Polaris ArchitectureDolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio SupportFinFET 14 Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC)VulkanReady for AMD XConnect TechnologyHDCP - High-bandwidth Digital Content ProtectionMicrosoft DirectX 12 Support (DirectX12 OPTIMIZED), OpenGL 4.5, OpenCL500W System Power Supply Requirement

both cards will run at the specs of the lowest spec card.

I'm not sure two cards is a good idea for you. If I was in your shoes, I would sell your current 470, and put that towards a better single card. You dont strike me as a crossfire person. ;)

I think it will work but not saying I think it is a good idea. Crossfire X/SLI arrangements tend to give inconsistent results. Never as good an option as just upgrading to a better card.

Back