• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better video stress test than furmark or 3dmark06 in xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Sorry if this has been posted a million times but I'm in a big hurry. My 8800gt is getting random graphical corruption in FEAR multiplayer and I'm supposed to ship it to the guy that bought it from me tomorrow so I have to get it packaged tonight. I've run furmark and 3dmark06 without issues. The problem is they don't use all of the ram on the card and I'm worried it may be a bad ram chip or something. Furmark uses about 150mb I believe and 3dmark 06 uses a bit over 250mb. I found a program called video memory stress test that I have running now but I've never heard of it and don't know if it's reliable. I'd like to really push the entire card if possible for at least an hour to be sure I'm not just having a driver problem (180.48), a virus, or some sort of software conflict. I just reinstalled the drivers as per the instructions in driver cleaner pro to the letter and when I started playing FEAR again I started noticing the random pixels flashing across the screen again. The ones that seem to be a prelude to massive screen corruption sometimes. Oh and I re-downloaded the game as well(free download) to make sure that wasn't it. Temps are fine and I have way more then enough power with my 700w seasonic. help? :(

Ok I found that program rthdribl that I used to hear about alot. I got it to fill up the video memory by running 5 instances at the same time at 16x multisampling. I didn't see any artifacts in any of the windows for about 20 minutes. Is that good enough or should I run something else? I really don't want to screw this kid over with a bad card.

it is probably a glitch inm that game, does it happen in any other games? or any other bench tests, if is just that game i would say it is a game glitch bug.

Well. Fallout 3 is ok most of the time but I've found that if I try to turn everything completely up at 2560x1536 it crashes after 30 sec every time (1280x960 4x AA ok). FO3 was kind of funny from the start though. The reason FEAR concerns me is that it wasn't always like that. I wish I could remember exactly when it started. I could have sworn it was trouble free at one point. Idk maybe it doesn't like my new sound card (pcie) or the last couple drivers.

It even happens at minimum lol. The card wasn't even breaking a sweat. In game temps were only 1-2 higher than idle and vid mem usage was like 30 megs or so I think.

Try reducing the mem clocks on the card. I had the same issue on my 8800GT (Qimonda memory) w/ FEAR and also when running loops of 'Battle for Proxycon' test from 3DMark05. For some reason these 2 'games' seemed to put the hurt on the Qimonda RAM.

I actually had to reduce the mem clocks below stock to clear it up. I ended up reducing the voltage (w/ a volt-mod) going to the mem from 2.01v down to 1.81v and that helped a lot. I was able to OC the mem again.

I'm almost certain what you are describing is the exactly the same issue I saw. It has to do w/ the way Qimonda went from 1.2ns (1.8v) RAM to 1.0ns (2.0v) RAM. They just upped the voltage to get better clocks. The problem comes from the fact that the memory controller is fed from the same voltage line as the RAM, and the memory controller doesn't do very well w/ anything above 1.8v.

How 'bout rthdribl. That's what I used since my GeForce 7600 GS, because 3D Mark became crippleware.

Man, that's kind of shady what they did with the ram if that's true. I went ahead and sent out the card but not before telling him everything I know and offering a final chance to get his money back. The fact that all the tests I tried, including the brutal OCCT gpu and vram tests passed made him feel confident enough that it was a software thing. If by chance there's an issue lurking he still has over a year of warranty and got a sweet price so I guess I can live with it. Thanks for the assistance all.

Back