• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making .EXE files with C++

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

I haven't written a C++ program in 5 years and forgot what IDE I used back then. Anyways I downloaded VS and wrote my program and compiled it with no errors. The result was a bunch of files but no .exe file. How do I get VS to spit out a stand alone exe file? I used to be able to do it five years ago.

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of a project or solution you make, console EXE, MFC EXE, Win32
EXE, DLL, etc.

I believe I was using Win32 console.

ShadowPho, I'll check the debug folder when I get home. I didn't check in that folder because it compiled with no errors and figured debugging it usually for error finding purposes.

Yep, any time you do a build in VS, it usually sticks any pertinent stuff in the bin\Debug or bin\Release folders inside your project's root (depending on what mode you've got VS in, and what type of project you're working with).

Make sure you do the "Build" and not just "Compile" (or "Compile and Build").
Visual Studio has always confused me because I click one of those buttons and forget which one I've clicked.

Back