• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagates In RAID 0 Making Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi. I have my two 410's in an RAID 0 array. I hear them make a sound like the are "winding up". During this my mouse or keyboard do not work.

It last for a short period of time like four or five seconds however it's getting more frequent. Is this a sign that one of my drives are going bad?

Thanks

Control Panel | Power Options | Click the "Change plan settings" link adjacent to whichever plan you have selected | Click the "Change advanced power settings" link | Expand Hard disk--> "Turn off hard disk after", and select "Never" as the option for Plugged in:.

Sounds to me like the drives are powering down and then having to restart. That is usually a power supply issue. Check cables and plugs, and try another PSU if you've got a spare.

Control Panel | Power Options | Click the "Change plan settings" link adjacent to whichever plan you have selected | Click the "Change advanced power settings" link | Expand Hard disk--> "Turn off hard disk after", and select "Never" as the option for Plugged in:.

It was set at 20 minutes. Changed it to never. I'll keep an eye on it. What does that setting do?

If you're just reading a long thread on the forum here, switching browser tabs, doing SSH stuff with PuTTY, etc., all that is done in memory, so no hard drive access. If you're doing that for 20 minutes, it will turn off the hard drive to save power (which is pretty pointless ona desktop system). All mechanical drives take a bit to spin up, and the freezing mouse/keyboard is the system waiting for the drive to spin up.

Back