• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate Defrag vs Vista native defragger : ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

When I use the defragger in vista it moves clusters towards the outside of the drive. But when I use ultimate defragger, it's moving clusters towards the inner edge of the drive.

Anyone know which one is doing the better job? I always thought you wanted to be closest to the center of the drive so that seek times are improved. But why Vista is doing the opposite confuses me.

Thanks in advance.

Seek times will remain constant* regardless of "where" on a drive the data is clumped since the head will need to move the same distance to seek. Clumping data on the outer edge of the drive will result in a little better performance since the sustained read/write speeds are better there. Moving data to the inside of the disk would potentially only be useful in reducing the rate of fragmentation since NTFS tends to write files at the first spot on the drive with enough contiguous free space.

*Technically seek times could be very slightly improved at the outer edge of the drive as well since the drive can hold more data in each track. This means that its a little more likely that the head won't need to move during a seek, and that you'll only suffer the rotational latency (~4ms on a 7200 RPM drive; ~3ms on a 10K RPM drive).

PS: I'm moving this over to the Storage forum since this is more up their alley :)

JigPu

Last edited:
Back