• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] Virtual Cosmos - Cosmos II VR PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They're hosted on an external server now and work fine for me on all computers. Try dumping your cache and refreshing.

I love my Cosmos II, although a word of warning: the top cover is very anti-airflow. My Radeon R9 295X2's rad sits up there (in push/pull)

When I remove the top cover, GPU temps fall by 5C or more. If I do not remove the top cover, it gets QUITE hot to the touch. (I cleaned off any/all dust to make sure since I had the case since ~2012, same effect)

I love my Cosmos II, although a word of warning: the top cover is very anti-airflow. My Radeon R9 295X2's rad sits up there (in push/pull)

When I remove the top cover, GPU temps fall by 5C or more. If I do not remove the top cover, it gets QUITE hot to the touch. (I cleaned off any/all dust to make sure since I had the case since ~2012, same effect)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye out for that. I haven't put pictures up of it yet, but I've removed the mesh on both the front and top. Trying to figure out a color scheme. Hopefully that will help a lot with airflow.

Custom PCBs came in!

77_2.png

They came out nice!

78_2.png

Molex only came in white.

79_2.png

But I?ve got a solution for that

80_2.png

Woah. That turned out much better than I was expecting. I don?t think I?ll pay extra for black connectors again.

81_2.png

Much cleaner than all those jumper wires. And it?s black!

82_2.png

Side by side of prototype and finished board.

83_2.png

Yeah. Much better.

84_2.png

The whole family.

85_2.png

Last edited:
Finally got some time to work on this project again!

Figured out the mounting for all my radiators. I also had to figure out another way to support the mid=plate since I cut the whole front out.
86.png

The bottom radiator is suspended off the mid-plate. I'm trying to prevent drilling through the future acrylic.
87.png

Everything still fits together nicely.
88.png

After months of going back and forth with a distributor, I finally got my hands on the blue fiberglass sleeving I've wanted. The plastic stuff is too glossy for my taste. It's not the color I originally wanted, but I can work with it. I haven't set in stone a color scheme yet so I can base everything else around it.
89.png

Picked up my Vive with a LEAP too for this.
90.png

More to come soon!

Anyone have a suggestion on color scheme? Only thing set in stone is the light blue sleeving.

With that color blue, it's not your usual standard color in build's I've seen but you can make it work with white. Think of Santorini. Other then that, I can't think of anything else that might go with that baby blue looking color. Maybe light green? Idk.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Black/white/grays. I still have a little more to do before I absolutely need to come up with something. Thinking of doing a cover for the bottom of the case and vents for the 240 radiator.

Made a custom power cable with fiberglass sleeving

91.png

92.png

93.png

I'm integrating the Vive internally and putting ports on the outside of the tower to tap in to.

94.png

95.png

Starting to sleeve the USB jumpers

96.png

More to come!

Finally decided where I wanted to put the Aquaero. Just a rough placement here.

97.png

Finished one of the internal USB jumpers. I'm having a hell of a time getting the crimps to hold on to the fiberglass tough. You can see it slipping out in the pic. I'll probably end up using heatshrink after all. Not terrible.

98.png

Mounted the external 12vdc jack, HDMI, and USB 3.0 ports for the Vive. Tapping into the PSU for power directly.

99.png

More parts coming in Monday!

Last edited:
This is one helluva project that is gonna be insane when completed. Love those power PWM splitters for the fans. Did those splitters change the max fan speed, from where you said you tested one and it was 3k rpm but when you tested 4 it was only 2800rpm?

Thanks! I found out I had the Aquaero set in voltage adjust mode for the first test. With PWM, it can't technically do full 100% power. Something about how the signal works. So I could use the fans in voltage mode which gives me the option to do true full power, but then the fans don't adjust nearly as much. I have enough cooling capacity in there, I'd rather the option to go super quiet. Technically, the Aquaero could handle all the fan clusters except the cluster of 6, but if I was power injecting for one, why not all? There really only needs to be two wires from the Aquaero for each header. They're dead points on the one side of the PCB. I'm doing all 4 wires though for aesthetics.

Got in my 1000' of 18ga

100.png

Molex headers came in. Going to do dye everything in one batch. I find it strange that everything is a standard size except the connector on the flow meter.

101.png

Came out great!

102.png

Heatshrink came in as well. Going to trimming excess wire and start sleeving tonight.

Thanks! I found out I had the Aquaero set in voltage adjust mode for the first test. With PWM, it can't technically do full 100% power. Something about how the signal works. So I could use the fans in voltage mode which gives me the option to do true full power, but then the fans don't adjust nearly as much. I have enough cooling capacity in there, I'd rather the option to go super quiet. Technically, the Aquaero could handle all the fan clusters except the cluster of 6, but if I was power injecting for one, why not all? There really only needs to be two wires from the Aquaero for each header. They're dead points on the one side of the PCB. I'm doing all 4 wires though for aesthetics.

Gotcha, I have mine powered through the AQ6 but only run 4 fans per header, ran the pump power through PSU which is already had Molex for that already, wish I would of made Molex connectors for my fans to power them through the PSU, I think it would of been
better.

That's alot of wire, can make a wonderful rats nest if not careful :D The dye really turned out good, I'm impressed.

Back