• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

V5200 video playback problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

I'm trying to fix a friend of mine's laptop and he has this really strange video playback problem. When using an extended display desktop, moving a video from the main desktop to a TV hooked up via a DVI->HDMI cable, the video won't play on the TV. You can also move the video back to the main desktop and it will continue to play there. He and I have the same laptop and I don't have this problem, but I can't figure out what he did. What is even stranger is if I open a video file with VLC and with WMPC, the video displays on WMPC and vice versa if I open WMPC first; it does not display with WMPC or VLC opening alone. Any thoughts?

is it with 1080p videos or anything?

i had ironman on bluray with my old square screen lcd, and hooked it up to a 720p tv screen, and while it'll play fine if i make the tv screen my primary display, it won't play anything if i move it there or if i open the video in that screen. same with 1080p wall e. but when you think about it the video is being scaled down on the fly, as it's being moved about, and it's moving from one screen with a different res to another screen. so it's to be expected. at least you should see if setting the refresh rates of both your screens to be the same, see if that makes a difference.

is it with 1080p videos or anything?

i had ironman on bluray with my old square screen lcd, and hooked it up to a 720p tv screen, and while it'll play fine if i make the tv screen my primary display, it won't play anything if i move it there or if i open the video in that screen. same with 1080p wall e. but when you think about it the video is being scaled down on the fly, as it's being moved about, and it's moving from one screen with a different res to another screen. so it's to be expected. at least you should see if setting the refresh rates of both your screens to be the same, see if that makes a difference.

Tried it with with 720p and standard def videos; same thing happens to both. The laptop is running at 1900x1200 resolution, and the TV is 1280x720, so I think I might tell him to run to the laptop at a lower res and see if that works. But, we did try running in dual display mode; 1280x720 on both laptop and TV, and the video played on the laptop, but not the TV. Refresh rates are 60Hz on both as well.

Back