• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got bad caps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

My brother in law wanted me to clean up his computer due to malware and viruses and well....... every capacitor on the board is leaking well except for like two of them. I can replace them but i don't know which type or where to get them from. the main board has "P4PB 400C-FL" and its "REV C2"
can anyone help me out??

this is what the board looks like

http://accelenation.com/?ac.id.184.1

Last edited:
Internet is screwing up!!!!! I tried to reply to your PM Super Nade. Would you be able to tell me what caps to buy?

Sure, but I need better pictures. Off the top of my head, I would suggest Chemicon PSA (solid caps) 16V caps of the highest value.

could you mound solid caps on a thru hole pcb? i thought all solid caps were SMD style soldering(aka pads, not thru hole). shows you how much i look at caps....

LOL i'm in the process of the same thing..

Mom's HP started crashing at random and not booting. I suspected malware\virus's, bad PS, or dirty heatsink/bad fan.

Opened it up and all the caps by the cpu are blown..
capsblown1.jpg

Ordered some correct size ones off ebay. Got the old ones out and are waiting on the new ones to come in.

wow para those look horrible... what SN is after is on the side of the cap.. more then likely looking for the uF number...

Ok i finally got around to pulling the mother board out. and here is a list of the caps and ratings.

7 ) 3300uf 6.3v "around the proc"
4 ) 1500uf 16v "also near proc"
6 ) 1000uf 10v "scattered around the board"
6 ) 1000uf 6.3 "also scattered"

is that the numbers i have to look for? and is there any thing else i need to look for when buying caps.

Ok i searched the site and i can't seem to find the caps. i can find 3300uf but not at 6.3v only at 16v

Last edited:
if you can only get the 3300uF in 16v then that is ok. the slighly higher voltage wont be a issue. now from my limited DIY audio amp building. they said a higher voltage cap will laster longer since it isnt being 100% fully charged/discharged all the time. im not sure if SN would say the same or not but i would follow him on this(about the longer life or not). if anything the cap might be slightly bigger then the ones on the board. if you feel like replacing all the caps then go for it nothing wrong with that. that way you make sure the board lasts for alot longer.

I was only going to replace the known bad caps. my brother in law will only be using this for a few more months.

can you do a slightly farther back shot of the cpu/socket are.. im tring to see how many chokes there are for the cpu pwm. going on the linked reveiw its a 3phase pwm and there are 9 caps for the cpu/pwm system.

yea that wouldnt be a problem to just do the cpu caps, here i thought the computer needed to last longer.

I win for worst pic ever on OFC!!!! sorry my camera is dieing

Attachments

• 100_2107.JPG
    100_2107.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 593
I win for worst pic ever on OFC!!!! sorry my camera is dieing

From that picture alone I can tell which ones are bad. :p

I have had good luck with Rubycon, Panasonc, Sanyo, and Chemicon.

I bought mine from ebay or right off of discarded motherboards.

Last edited:
If you are re-capping, replace all caps. Bad caps have a way of spreading the disease to their neighbors.

ditto, if you dew it, dew it right :)
the ones that show no signs may just be on their way and once they see new caps around them, they might get scared :D

Back