• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between building or modding an existing case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monolithic

I'm planning to do a case mod that will allow me to put a mini-keg in a computer case. I'm still in the planning process so I haven't mapped out everything yet, but atm I'm stuck wondering if I should chop up some old cases or if I should build my own.

I have questions about each way.

If I were to chop up old cases, is there compound that I can use to stick the metal together hard enough that it won't fall apart? I know of stuff called steal compound that I have use before that comes in a tube. The center of the tube is a different compound than the outside of it and you mix it together with your fingers and apply it in between your two pieces of metal. I just don't know if it will be strong enough to hold. Welding is out of the option because my building space is restricted to my University dorm. I did measuring too and I have some slight clearence for stock ATX cases so I can just drop the keg in. It's 18CM in diameter and the case is 19.8CM wide. It's just a matter of getting the height.

If I were to build my own I'm thinking I would go the way of acrylic. It seems easy to work with and it bonds very strongly. It would also be a lot of work though and it's also totally new to me. And I'm not sure how cost effective it would be (I haven't priced it here in Halifax yet. Stuff like that tends to be more expensive in Canada than the US.)

For the end product I'm hoping to have a case that will fit an ATX motherboard, DVD Burner, HDD, PSU and GPU. The hardware will be in the bottom section and then I want to have a seperator and the mini-keg above that. I have a peltier that I plan to use to keep the keg cold so that the heat from the computer doesn't make it **** warm. Then on the front panel a tap (haven't figured which one yet) that will be visible that dispenses the beer. On the back I figure I'll need some sort of container to catch the sweat from the upper part so it doesn't leak down below.

So any thoughts or ideas? And what do you guys think who be the best option as far as a case goes?

Thanks.

Are you looking to have the keg cool your PC or have your PC warm your keg? =P

Acrylic is a bad idea; it cracks and scratches easily and you're aiming to put a heavy metal object in/on it, possibly while intoxicated.

How easily does it crack? Is the chance really that great if it's just sitting in one spot?

And as far as scratches I figured I would just do what another guy did (I'm pretty sure it was on here). I think he sanded it or something to give it a foggy look.

Or I could paint it. Not sure if it's ever possible to paint acrylic.

And thanks for the input.

Back