• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd restart hang up and occasional freeze upon windows start-up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pillfred

Registered
Possible fix found :Odd restart hang up and occasional freeze upon windows start-up?

I am still running the PC in my sig cept for a new hard drive.
When i restart it will post then reboot, it then usually starts up into windows. However it will occasionally hang/slow down to a crawl before it finishes loading all the way once it hits desktop.

I also noticed the lights on my keyboard would flicker during boot as well,i checked a few threads here and pushed on my connector pins to see if maybe the usb plugs came loose and that seems to have remedied the flashing however the hang-up still will occur.

i have done:
Tried old HD same thing happens
Ran with one stick of ram, tried each seperatly. With one of thie sticks i saw no issues the few times i rebooted Though it is not a constant issue. Ran memtest (via linux disc) and both stick seem fine though i did not run it all that long.
Ran orthos again not long but it showed no errors.

I did have an odd issue about a month ago where the cmos reset itself an ran back at stock speeds i think after it rebooted, cant remember what exactly. But it has been fine since.

I plan on testing the ram some more. However im not sure if that's it? Other than my ram, only thing i can think of is maybe my board is starting to crap out? Any idea's? Thnx :confused:

Edit: it runs fine when it boots and it seems to load fine from a cold start.

Last edited:
Are you overclocked at all? This sounds like either a power issue or an instability (probably related to ocing) issue. Try setting your CPU and memory back to default settings. After that, a CMOS reset or flashing the bios may remedy the problem as your system may not be properly completing its post (though it's more likely the former). Can you hear any beeps?

Ya im oc'd. I will give that a go and see what happens.

Also, I think i may have found the issue just this morning? I booted into safe mode without issue, and as seeing it seemed to slow down my anti-virus balloon (Avast) i gave it the boots and ran without avast installed it seems to have been the culprit. I'm gonna restart a few more times without it installed and see what happens.

Edit: it does seem to be that Avast was the culprit. Must have had conflicts with something. I upgraded my counterspy to vipre and so far so good. I may do some testing to see if i can track down the what it was conflicting with.

Last edited:
Could be you are having quite a few programs trying to load up at the start.
What programs are starting up when windows starts up?
What os are you running?
Avast usually has a small footprint. I use it once in a while with no problems.

Back