• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on Cheap MoBo with graphics solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

Hey Guys

My grandson's Socket A system with Radeon 9600 graphics has died. He wants to replace it with his own money, and that little sucker is a tightwad. He will need a new MoBo, CPU, Graphics, and RAM and maybe a PSU. He wanted to know if he could get that for less than $100. I just laughed.

So I was thinking he should get an integrated graphics solution on an AM2 board, but I am not up on the latest tech. So my questions are:

If I go new what MoBo, CPU, Chipset should I look for for best bang for least buck?

If I go to classifieds what should I reasonably be able to pick up for $200 tops?

Games played are older first person shooters and real time strategy games, it is mainly used for homework. If he can't find a game for $10 on the top shelf at Walmart he is not wasting his money. So a high end gaming system is not needed.

Having grandsons myself I can understand this! :)

Using your $200 limit I would grab an MSI DKA790GX, which has built-in ATI "HD 3300" graphics. Not the best out there but plenty for most people not running cutting edge games. That board has a LOT of CPU combination buys at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130191

Just browse through them until you find one to your liking. DDR2 RAM is very cheap right now. I found some nice OCZ Gold 2x 2Gb (DDR2-800) sticks for $20 after rebate. With RAM prices that low I'd probably stretch the budget just a hair and get the 7750 X2 combo for $195. The 7750 is a dual-core Phenom CPU and you should be able to OC it a little without too much trouble (if you want). But like I said, there are several CPU options and many are cheaper than that bringing the total system price below $200 even with shipping and $20 for the RAM.

Good luck on your build and keep us updated ... :)

I'm in a similar situation also trying to keep the total cost for Motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU to about $200. And this is what I've come up with. You can probably shave off a few $$ by getting less RAM and slower CPU.

^^ I agree with ctbrown's choices.

+1 for the 780G chipset. You can always add in a ~$30 HD 2400 pro/XT for hybrid crossfire [Vista only].

I have the 780G on my Asus M3A78-EM and a 2400XT, only works in Vista though, which I won't have until Monday...

I'm using an MSI K9A2GM-FIH which has onboard ATI HD 3200 graphics. I'm using a Geforce 9800 GT in mine however.

For 200 used, you can build a nice 780/790G setup (onboard HD3200/3300) with 4GB of ram and have the capability of upgrading to a 4800 series in a few months when the prices drop out :)

Also gives him the option of in a year or so of upgrading the CPU for a real nice performance boost.

ctbrown put togehter a decent list already :)

Normally stay away from foxconn although they have gotten a lot better and produce some of the best enthusiast level boards outthere right now IMHO

And would definitly look at a better PSU as well. You can get an earthwatts 430 for about the same price. (seasonic build IIRC and 80+ efficency, although no $10 MIR)

And would definitly look at a better PSU as well. You can get an earthwatts 430 for about the same price. (seasonic build IIRC and 80+ efficency, although no $10 MIR)

Neur0mancern, could you elaborate a bit more on this. I still have not bought anything yet and want to go with whatever is best for the same price. So I was wondering, side by side, what makes the earthwatts better?

The reason I listed the thermaltake is because I already have one on one of my HTPCs and its been very quiet, has dual fans with good airflow. Also very good reviews on Newegg.

Thermaltake tough power series are fine if you over buy the PSU. The were notorious for inflating hte rating of their PSUs by dumping 30-50W on the 5v rail sometihng a modern PC just does not need.

The antec earthwatts I believe are seasonic built units and so are of higher quality, underrated, and higher efficency.

jonnyguru.com is a great source for picking out PSUs and finding out who really makes the PSU you are buying.

For 200 used, you can build a nice 780/790G setup (onboard HD3200/3300) with 4GB of ram and have the capability of upgrading to a 4800 series in a few months when the prices drop out :)

Also gives him the option of in a year or so of upgrading the CPU for a real nice performance boost.

ctbrown put togehter a decent list already :)

Normally stay away from foxconn although they have gotten a lot better and produce some of the best enthusiast level boards outthere right now IMHO

Thermaltake tough power series are fine if you over buy the PSU. The were notorious for inflating hte rating of their PSUs by dumping 30-50W on the 5v rail sometihng a modern PC just does not need.

The antec earthwatts I believe are seasonic built units and so are of higher quality, underrated, and higher efficency.

jonnyguru.com is a great source for picking out PSUs and finding out who really makes the PSU you are buying.

Thanks,, Just added the Antec to my newegg wishlist

All new Tt ToughPower and the TR series are made by Channel Well ... :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2040825#post2040825

Back