• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Problems pls help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bogard.24

Registered
I have been having problems with heat since I upgraded a fried comp this summer.

Spec:

Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9550
MOBO: ECS A780GM-a
Mem: 2gb Corsair 800mghz
GPU: Geforce 9800GT
PSU: 800w

I had the stock fan on the cpu and was running about 70-75C so I went to the store today and got a Ninja 2 to replace it. I also got another fan to draw air into the front of the comp. After putting this all together I was hoping for something a little less on fire, but I am still getting about 65C under load. What could be the problem? I used the provided amd clip which was a pain in the ***, would I see better performance with it bolted on?

I didn't use arctic silver or w/e because they didn't have it, I used ANTEC formula 5.

This rig has no overclocking it is all factory. What is going on? is my mobo a pos?

According to speed fan:
+3.3v = 2.16v
+5v = 6.85v
+12v = 4.93v

is this another problem?

Thanks for any help, I am just getting into this, my general advice for wc/oc topic got flamed down in the WC sub forum =( so I think here is a better place?

-Alex

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

First off what thermal grease did you use? Adding too much may result in insulation rather than good heat transfer.

The type of thermal grease can also hinder good heat transfer.

Poor air flow can definately result in poor temps. Just because you added a fan in the front of the case to pull air in, doesn't mean you're getting positive airflow theu the case.

How many case fans does your case actually have? Are the fans covered by the steel mesh of the case?

Does the cpu heatsink have a fan attached?

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

First off what thermal grease did you use? Adding too much may result in insulation rather than good heat transfer.

The type of thermal grease can also hinder good heat transfer.

Poor air flow can definately result in poor temps. Just because you added a fan in the front of the case to pull air in, doesn't mean you're getting positive airflow thethe case.

How many case fans does your case actually have? Are the fans covered by the steel mesh of the case?

Does the cpu heatsink have a fan attached?

I have 2 input fans, one in the bottom front, one in the middle of the door.

I just installed the ninja 2, cpuheatsink and fan, I have it pushing air through the heating towards the back of the tower where I have a smaller fan pushing air out the back as well.

The fans do have the metal with the holes, should I try to cut large openings?

I used just enough thermal compound to coat the cpu evenly the brand I used is in my first post

Last edited:
I think I have been reading my temp incorrectly.

My CPU is 21-24C idle

My GPU is 60c idle and 65c under load.

I think I might try to overclock my cpu tonight or tomorrow with the help of these forums and a friend. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back