• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooling option

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fusion509

I am looking for the best way to cool the ram on my 4850 graphics card. I am upgrading to liquid cooling and the gpu is only covered by the water block exposing the ram.

old chipset heatsinks cut to size, new ones from various brands (swiftech comes to mind)

don't forget about the mosfets and what not on the card as well.

how would you attach the cut ones to the chips? thermal compound?

would Thermal Conductive Heatsink Cooling Pad be OK?

No, while that may do the job of a thermal compound, it won't hold the ramsinks onto the ram. So unless you've got your video card with the ram facing up ( unlikely ), you're going to need something like this, or you can use some AS5 and Super Glue the corners, although I swear some of my ramsinks aren't doing enough.

Keep in mind though, those ramsinks will NOT come off again. You'd probably take the ram chip off the card before you got the ramsink off. Have you looked at getting a full-coverage card, like these? You won't be able to use it on another card, but it will cool the ram and the core, plus you'll be able to get it off when you are done.

Those are some options, there are others out there I would think.
-Drew

do any of you guys know how many heatsinks are needed for the ram on an ati 4850?

If you take off the stock cooler you will see. As far as I know the chips I marked with green need to be cooled, not sure about the small ones to the far right though. This is on a reference HD4850.

frontpk8.jpg

when you took off the fan was there a way to leave just the heatsink part of the fan on the ram?

If you take off the stock cooler you will see. As far as I know the chips I marked with green need to be cooled, not sure about the small ones to the far right though. This is on a reference HD4850.

frontpk8.jpg

Does anyone know whether the chips on the right need to be cooled with a heatsink?

It probably wouldnt hurt to cool the chips on the right, especially if you use thermal tape to apply the heatsinks to them. Sekisui thermal tape is regarded as the best, and can be purchased for a reasonable price on Ebay

when you took off the fan was there a way to leave just the heatsink part of the fan on the ram?

No, this is sadly enough not possible. At least, on my HD4850 it wasn't. The heatsink was made out of one block copper, covering the entire card.

Back